Relaxation Of Hot Food License In Hereford...

Colin James

At the Regulatory meeting last Thursday, as part of the agenda for discussion was the CIZ area and we were asked if we were happy that this area had improved as of late. As part of that conversation I asked if we could relax the condition for hot food to be sold after 1.30am. I was told  by the chairman that there was a Chinese takeaway in Commercial Street now allowed to stay open till 2.30am, to which I replied then other hot food establishments should be able to do the same, the reply was ' tell them to apply for a licence' and it will be considered. So come on guys I have opened the door to discussion its up to you now to apply!!

Your input is appreciated councillor but I think Colin and others with this campaign had already opened the door some time ago, see the first post in this topic, we are just waiting for other restaurants and hot food establishments to follow suit and apply to extend their opening hours too.  :Thumbs-Up:

Alex, I am not trying to take the credit I have been speaking to and supporting Colin on this for some time. I brought the subject up before at the Regulatory meetings but while there was disturbance in and around the CIZ area the police was not in agreement to the condition being removed. Now it has been agreed that things have got better I again as I said in my previous post (31)  brought the subject up again.

Roger, I think  its called wok rice and its in Commercial road not commercial street as I said before.

The most recent Licensing Application for Wok & Rice here (from June 2014) seems to indicate a 01.00 finish apart from Fri/Sat where it's 01.30. I generally keep an eye on the Council Licensing page and I've not noticed a 02.30 application for that premises. I'd love to be proved wrong but that's all I can see.

Their website Wok & Rice indicates their actual opening hours are 12 - 23 apart from Fri/Sat when it's 12 - 01

The most recent Licensing Application for Wok & Rice here (from June 2014) seems to indicate a 01.00 finish apart from Fri/Sat where it's 01.30. I generally keep an eye on the Council Licensing page and I've not noticed a 02.30 application for that premises. I'd love to be proved wrong but that's all I can see.

Their website Wok & Rice indicates their actual opening hours are 12 - 23 apart from Fri/Sat when it's 12 - 01

So have they got extended hours then?

Standard hours are 23:00 both Munchies and Wok & Rice have had to apply for extended hours till 01.30. It's the same for a pub where any hours outside standard trading hours 23:00 have to apply for extended hours to go to later. This is where there was an issue within the Impact Zone with regards to extending hours but this is now relaxing with business applying on their own merits where they feel they can prove that there will be no cumulative impact.

Standard hours are 23:00 both Munchies and Wok & Rice have had to apply for extended hours till 01.30. It's the same for a pub where any hours outside standard trading hours 23:00 have to apply for extended hours to go to later. This is where there was an issue within the Impact Zone with regards to extending hours but this is now relaxing with business applying on their own merits where they feel they can prove that there will be no cumulative impact.

I'm assuming that you can apply to stay open beyond the 0130 threshold, did not realise that the standard times were only until 2300. Thanks for the info Paul, hope that you are well my friend.  :Winky:

• 1 month later...

I see that there is an application in for 'The Buttery' sandwich shop in Maylord Street Hereford to have a late night refreshment licence (no alcohol) between 23.30 and 02.30 on a Thur/Fri/Sat. To include indoor and outdoor provision of what I imagine would be hot food/coffee type stuff. The applicant says approval is needed to 'guarantee it's survival'.

Application

The application looks a bit 'woolly' to me. To have a chance of getting a 02.30 stand alone food type licence I think you need to be all over covering the licensing objectives which the applicant has covered by saying 'security' will be provided. No mention of CCTV/litter provision etc.

Buttery.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks Roger, lets see what happens here then.

I don't know what else the applicant can say to promote the licensing objectives that are thrown in any applicants face. He is not serving alcohol, no 'children' will be out at the extended hours he want's to trade at and he has got cameras lined up and a litter pick outside the shop with sufficient bins'. 

The issues I might have are that if you need SIA guards at a chip shop (which he is proposing at relevant times) then you are anticipating trouble. Is he? Or is he just writing the right words to get the extended hours? 

I'd like to know the radius of his litter pick proposals. Is it outside his front door? The Baptist Church next door? Commercial Street? Barrs Court Road? As that is exactly where the chip trays end up! As we all know! 

I don't know what else the applicant can say to promote the licensing objectives that are thrown in any applicants face. He is not serving alcohol, no 'children' will be out at the extended hours he want's to trade at and he has got cameras lined up and a litter pick outside the shop with sufficient bins'. 

The issues I might have are that if you need SIA guards at a chip shop (which he is proposing at relevant times) then you are anticipating trouble. Is he? Or is he just writing the right words to get the extended hours? 

I'd like to know the radius of his litter pick proposals. Is it outside his front door? The Baptist Church next door? Commercial Street? Barrs Court Road? As that is exactly where the chip trays end up! As we all know! 

It looks like they have ticked all the right boxes. With regard to the litter pick then surely they can only be responsible for the area immediately surrounding the chippy, if someone walks home across bars court road and decides to just throw the litter in the street I fail to see how this chippy is to blame, that has to come down to the irresponsible person committing the crime and not the chippy, if thats the case then Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury's should pay to dredge the river in order to retrieve there discarded trolleys. Getting back to the topic I am looking forward to the outcome of this application, personally, I see no real cause for objection, they seem to have done their homework.

A part of this application will be trading history will be considered, have they opened till 4.30am in the past and have there been any issues associated with the premises when they have traded later, also the residents will have an input as to wether they want a premises trading until 4.30am where they live. Lots of factors to be taken into account.

I wish them the best of luck with the application.

A part of this application will be trading history will be considered, have they opened till 4.30am in the past and have there been any issues associated with the premises when they have traded later, also the residents will have an input as to wether they want a premises trading until 4.30am where they live. Lots of factors to be taken into account.

Always get me that one about residents, this is the city centre, they chose to live there, knowing that there are pubs, late night clubs and bars surrounding them. You probably pay more to for living in the city centre, if its peace and quiet they seek then they should of looked at living in a much quieter location. Good luck with this application this city needs to get into the 21st century. 

It looks like they have ticked all the right boxes. With regard to the litter pick then surely they can only be responsible for the area immediately surrounding the chippy, if someone walks home across bars court road and decides to just throw the litter in the street I fail to see how this chippy is to blame

I agree. There's a Council bin virtually outside their front door. Obviously the Golden Galleon folk are not responsible if people choose not to use it. In my experience if people buy chips really late they meander off drunk and then dump what they don't want on some random pavement down the street - probably having passed another nearby bin in that general area. 

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I see that Dominos Pizza (Belmont Rd) applied to extend their hours of business until 0200 Sunday - Thursday and until 0400 Fridays and Saturdays. Direct Counter sales cease at Midnight so this extension is for deliveries only by the look of it and its been REFUSED this week. 

The operators are seeking an extension of opening hours to 0200 hours on Sundays to Thursdays and to 0400 hours on Fridays and Saturdays. Direct counter sales to visiting customers would cease at 2400 hours (midnight) daily and only delivery sales would take place after that time until the unit ceased trading for that day. The additional trading hours are being proposed in order to bring the planning condition into line with the consented Premises Licence for this unit.

Application no: P151384/F

Decision Notice 228449.pdf

I agree with M Preece - People buy/live in flats etc in the "busiest street in the city centre" and then some will complain about businesses trading until 4am. I suspect this application for the Indian will not be granted until 4.30 but time will tell.

I see that Dominos Pizza (Belmont Rd) applied to extend their hours of business until 0200 Sunday - Thursday and until 0400 Fridays and Saturdays. Direct Counter sales cease at Midnight so this extension is for deliveries only by the look of it and its been REFUSED this week. 

Application no: P151384/F

attachicon.gifDecision Notice 228449.pdf

There is the first refusal then.  :Hmm:

There is the first refusal then.  :Hmm:

I don't think Police had any issues, it looked more like residents complaining. One of their issues was staff standing on the wall holding up boards with offers on, but this is only now and again and always during the day, can't imagine them stood on a wall at 1am somehow.

With regard to the Glass Tandoori, I can't see them allowing them to open until 0430 at best, I reckon they will allow them to stay open until 0300, which would be a result, however, I cannot see what difference another 90 minutes would make. We should know the outcome sometime next week from my understanding, so we will see.

With regard to the Glass Tandoori, I can't see them allowing them to open until 0430 at best, I reckon they will allow them to stay open until 0300, which would be a result, however, I cannot see what difference another 90 minutes would make. We should know the outcome sometime next week from my understanding, so we will see.

I would imagine even if they were granted a licence to trade until 4.30am they would not be open everyday until that time, so don't really understand what the issue would be. Friday and Saturday they should be able to stay open until they want but I don't think 4.00am is an unreasonable request at this stage.