Another Link Road with housing + park & ride

ragwert

Anybody else heard of this proposal by Bloor homes.
The proposal is for 460 homes on farmland off Roman Road opposite the Aylesbrook est near the racecourse with a link road running through the site joining the A49 just North of Holmer church.
A 350 car park and ride site will also be created.
Bloor homes will also be the first to pay into the 150 million fund to pay for Herfordshire councils vision of a Western by-pass.

Think it was being mooted earlier this year/late last year. Seem to remember seeing something in the HT at one point about it, numerous reactions of excessive traffic/pollution/flooding etc, which is justified in my eyes as the Starting gate roundabout is a bottleneck (even after the Highways Agency altered it), with traffic queing all the way past Kenchester Water Gardens almost daily, so with another (potentially) 700 cars added it'll be even worse. The P&R will alleviate things slightly, although it's not going to improve things unless there is a dedicated terminus at say the OLM or Merton Meadow with a shuttle running between the two, rather than using service buses.

I sincerely doubt this will go through Ragwert. As already pointed out it's an old application which was put on the back burner because it was likely to be refused. Now, with the Cabinet believing their backing of the Southern Link Relief Road is tantamount to permission for this Southern Link (SC2) this part of their equation (effectively a northern link road) has come back into focus. The idea being you will then have two halves of a road and the Western Bypass will be a fait accompli.

It ain't going to happen.

Herefordshire's future and road management will not be decided by only 7 cllrs, unelected senior council executives and national house builders.

No matter how hard they push (and there is a lot backed up in the pipeline) in an effort to get things pushed through by May, they are already out of time.

Next year we can all look sensibly at the options for affordable housing for Herefordshire families (built by firms from Herefordshire and it's surrounds) and we will look at intelligent evidence based solutions for our chronic peak time congestion. The latter will revolve around huge investments in public transport and provisions for cycling and will leave the roads into the city free for those stuck in the sticks who need to use their cars.

You are witnessing the death throes of a dinosaur, the old collaboration of big business and weak or corrupt politicians is soon to be over.At least in Herefordshire.

AV. Yes, we believe in massive investment in public transport and fact based research on where to put a relief road if we can't tackle the problem by using the existing road network to it's most efficient capacity (including looking at removing traffic lights where possible). Some of us believe if we do need a bypass an Eastern route would be more cost effective and more sensible as it would serve the Enterprise Zone better and cement links to the Midlands and the capital.

We cannot simply keep building more roads to allow more 400-1000 unit plus housing estates being dumped in one spot.

The traffic problem in Hereford could be tackled by better public transport and investment in making sure children walk, cycle or get a bus to school.

This is my take on our developing plans and not official IOC policy as yet but our manifesto will be ready soon.

What are your views/ideas on tackling traffic AV? We want all the feedback we can get. We have no hidden agenda, we are not in the employ or asking for money from national housebuilders, we simply want the facts properly duscussed.

If a bypass is found to be the most effective solution, I could live with that decision. It's a decision that needs to be taken by as many of the county's residents as possible, not by 7 councillors and unelected executive officers.

That's a really interesting post, John.

Whenever I am extolling the virtues of having an IOC council leading the way, the first thing folks say to me is, "Ah, but we'll never geta bypass if they're in power!" So to hear you say that it is a conversation they are wanting to have is great news.

I honestly feel that East would be the only route that should be considered, for any sort of joined up transport plan.

Surely both East and West would be best, in an ideal world? (Budgets notwithstanding). The river crossing is the bottleneck. I do see that an East route works best with Rotherwas, and would suggest that the new Ambulance and Fire stations should be there as well.

I don't think there are any plans for a new ambulance station are there, Hillbilly?

They have just finished a much needed programme of updating works at the Ross Road station, and have various standby points across the county. Notably Cargills, as one of their community initiatives, have given crews a rest room and standyby point there. Hence crews respond from points both north and south of the river.

The police and fire service however, are a more complex issue..........!!

Surely both East and West would be best, in an ideal world? (Budgets notwithstanding). The river crossing is the bottleneck. I do see that an East route works best with Rotherwas, and would suggest that the new Ambulance and Fire stations should be there as well.

I agree with your point hillbilly. If we have east/west then it's a ring road job done. I appreciate that a lot of comments come from a local standpoint but like it or lump it the amount of HGV and tourist traffic is set to increase as drivers look for an alternative route to the M6/M5 which these days run heavy irrespective of the time of year. There is a lot more retirement traffic filling our roads and all this before you even start to deal with demand for new housing. The ring road would take the big traffic away from the town centre and in doing so improve air quality and safety for schools and cyclists. As for the budget well for starters the Welsh Assembly is cracking on with the dualling of the A465 because they know that a solution for the M4 at Newport will take years to get off the ground so they can contribute... why should it stop at Abergavenny?? The English government appreciates that the current road network is close to collapse and I'm sorry to say that any new large scale rail projects are set to cut through middle England and not over here but freight and Rotherwas is a good idea. I know we like to think of Herefordshire as a different world and that we all live and work within it but trust me that's a pipedream. Some of us do have to travel out of the County to find work.The other thing is this..HGV,s have to respect lower speed limits on a single carriageway therefore we need to think ahead and make it two lanes. Park and ride...people do use them, new HUFC stadium just off a bypass? ..why not. We need houses but not big builds and if it does happen then we make sure that they contribute to rejuvenating old town which does have a future. Many cathedral cities have experienced the same dilemmas and conflicts but we have to work together for solutions. Whether you like it or not The Old Market has been a success just watch the two way (yes two way footfall) coming to and from it. I digress however it is all linked ultimately. We need a complete ring road therefore two bridges across the Lugg & Wye.

As an aside to your post GreenKnight, if the OLM is a success, (and I still maintain it is still early days to call it either way) then why are the franchise staff in Debenhams so worried that they are missing their predicted sales targets?

Footfall does not equal spending!

I don't think there are any plans for a new ambulance station are there, Hillbilly?

They have just finished a much needed programme of updating works at the Ross Road station, and have various standby points across the county. Notably Cargills, as one of their community initiatives, have given crews a rest room and standyby point there. Hence crews respond from points both north and south of the river.

The police and fire service however, are a more complex issue..........!!

Hi DippyHippy

West Midlands Ambulance Service are not long into the hub concept so it maybe a little while before someone has another grand plan. It's introduction came during a surge in demand and for me they are probably the busiest of all three services. The Cargill facility did give the service a vital standby point which alleviates delays when dealing with emergencies north side of the river. Again like many other cathedral cities there has been an emphasis to relocate central ambulance stations to where there is improved access like a ring road. The truth is that the fire service does need an overhaul.The bulk of their work in this county relates to RTC,s and as such I don't understand why they cannot be more aligned with the Ambulance Service sharing facilities etc. The Police & Fire Services oppose any mergers because its a loss of control however UK Ambulance Services have taken the lead and generally it is working.

As an aside to your post GreenKnight, if the OLM is a success, (and I still maintain it is still early days to call it either way) then why are the franchise staff in Debenhams so worried that they are missing their predicted sales targets?

Footfall does not equal spending!

Ah sales targets.. Well they must be all going to Costa then which apparently had the third best sales in the Country last weekend! It's early days but I know there are now people coming to Hereford rather than Cheltenham which for me is looking a little tired these days.

Hi Greenknight, yes you are quite correct, they have recently closed many of the outlying stations such as Kington, Ross etc, and moved towards having Hereford as the main hub for crews to work out from.......... this isn't always working!( Don't get me started on response times, unnecessary calls, and emergency cover for Herefordshire, when crews are diverted to Birmingham!)

I don't want to go off at too much of a tangent (which I often do!) as there are other threads this is being discussed on!

That said, with both fire and police actively looking for new premises, I do wish they would consider a shared space!

Does the fact that you are responding to my posts mean that you have accepted my grovelling apology x 2????

Great debate on this thread!

I agree with John H about the priority of sorting transport options in central Hereford first, but Greenknight also makes a lot sensible points about HGVs. However, the current plan to fund relief roads and bridges seems to be through revenue from huge housing developments, and that would be self-defeating as all those extra people would only increase congestion and pressure on services in central Hereford. In addition Hereford does have lots of very special wildlife habitats all around it, really not found in other counties, and these deserve protection. Regional extinctions of some small beasties are real possibilities.  It's easy to draw a line on a map for a proposed new road, but it's never that simple.

I don't like the Old Market much, but do want it to be successful now we have it. I don't want it to go the way of some others. When Newbury got a new shopping centre it got a Debenhams, but that has since moved out to the Parkway, leaving Debenhams Outlet. That's the stuff that doesn't sell easily, but they hope the people of Newbury are strange shapes and like "unusual" colours. Keeping rents viable and car parking affordable will be critical for success in Hereford. Park and Ride sounds an attractive alternative, but it is hugely expensive to maintain, with buses probably needed every 15 minutes. Not good value while many villages don't have a proper bus service at all!

Great debate, but to me the one bit that stands out, is the line by John Harrington about getting the school children to walk or use buses. I am continually amazed at how swiftly I travel around the city during school holidays and half- term.

Agreed Slim .. though the way the education system works now and the parent having choices about school placement I think the days of little Johnny being able to get into his local school and walking there have gone. As a ten year old we were sent on our way with a one mile walk and no adult. There are many reasons and not just traffic that prevent this taking place today. If school places don't keep up with big housing developments the distances travelled will only get worse.

Excellent points about school children.

Remember also that these days, children often have to fit in around parents/grandparents working hours.

Gone are the days when you would leave for school with a peck on the cheek from your mum, and a nice packed lunch. These days many mums also work. Children are dropped off early to access "breakfast clubs" and remain in school longer to attend "after school clubs".

The school day can be significantly longer for many, right from the minute they embark on their educational journey.

Well, getting back on topic and with schools, why don't the council say to the developers of the housing estates -  " build your houses but also the infrastructure, i.e. schools, doctors surgeries, dental practice, newsagents, grocers etc." ?

I don't know the ins and outs, Slim, but I guess it all comes down to money and numbers.

Just how many houses would they need to sell, to make putting in that type of infrastructure viable?? Hereford does need affordable housing, but it doesn't need huge developments.

We need to have a long, hard look at what we currently have, and decide if there are better ways of utilising it........maybe???

what about a floating pontoon bridge with dirt tracks leading to either side of it, I bet they've got some kicking about in the yard at Credenhill their not using at the moment.

post-947-0-96485500-1417005001_thumb.png

This will solve ALL our traffic problems and cheap! it could all be funded by loose change found behind the sofa in the break room at plough lane.