Rotherwas Rail Proposal

megilleland

Herefordshire Council News 13 October 2014 

Herefordshire Council hosted the first meeting with rail industry stakeholders to discuss rail proposals for Rotherwas on 7 October.

The meeting which included representatives from Network Rail and London Midland train operating company brought together a cross party discussion around how emerging proposals to re-introduce rail facilities into Rotherwas might be progressed.

Councillor Bob Matthews, leader of the Independent Group, set out the proposals which would include passenger services and potential for rail freight for the discussion, said ‘We have had a very productive and constructive meeting with key stakeholders and the next steps will be to get more detailed feedback on how the proposals should be developed. The Independent Group is committed to seeing this scheme delivered but appreciate that it will need a sound business case before funding can be secured.’

Cllr Johnson, Leader of the Council, chaired the meeting and commented, ‘The meeting was very productive and we have secured the support of Network Rail and London Midland (train operating company) to assist us with reviewing these proposals. Based on the advice and feedback from the rail industry experts, the production of a business case and the identification of funding sources, we intend to develop a plan for how the proposal might move forward.’

Full steam ahead or will it hit the buffers?

It's far from a stupid idea, in fact it is a marvellous idea.

Trains running to, and stopping at Rotherwas?  Brilliant.

Make it so!

If freight can go there to even better.  Get some lorries off the roads.

Bulmers should re-open their line too...  Although it does seem to have been built on slightly.

We have been fighting for a simple by pass for years with its cost probably around 25-30 million.
I was going past Worcester today on one of the three by passes they have had built over the years to see they are extending and widening the road just past the Diglis docks bridge at a cost of 23 million.

So?  Everybody knows that bypass can get ridiculously jam-packed at rush-hour.

Surely reducing what is on the road is the best idea.

Have a line into goods yards at Rotherwas...  Bingo...  potentially hundreds less lorries going to and from the estate.

Yes, things need unloading from the trains...  New transport companies can spring up to move from trains to industrial units.

People can catch the train to Rotherwas if there is a good timetable...  <BOOM!> hundreds less cars going to and from the estate...

The downside is where, exactly?

What we really need is park and ride commuter interchanges at moreton-on-lugg, at tram inn and also whitestone so people can commute into Hereford on the train. There is plenty of space at all these ex-train station site for large car parks. A station at rotherwas would make this idea work even better.

It is excellent so long as it does not harm the cycleway.

You will be able to drive from the south (Ross etc.) up the access  road, park and catch a train into the city

They can't even get people to use a bus park n ride and are you saying people from South of river Newton Farm/Belmont etc will drive to the train station to catch a train to.......the train station? What would they do then to get to work/school catch a bus 

A bus park and ride will only ever work when there is a dedicated bus lane and there does not seem to be space for that. People will not park their car and then get on a bus to sit in the same queue of traffic.

What I am suggesting is that a train station at Rotherwas does give the opportunity to get into the city centre easily - and at that time to new connection, as a result of the link road from the station to the city centre will also be complete. I agree that it would not be odf much use to those in Newton Farm/Belmont - why would it? They can walk or use Great Western Way.

One of the problems is that people are too lazy to get out of their cars

Yep,  it’s a futile and rubbish little bit of tarmac from someone in Balfour Beatty who has obviously never ridden a bike - spits you out right on a junction making turning right difficult/dangerous/impossible without getting off your bike. When will these people learn that cyclists don't do 90 degree turns? Even the Greenway is cursed with them.

Having said that, JB has overlooked the flight of steps up through Venns Arch - cyclists don't do those either!

At the risk of being controversial ... Surely east AND west would be best? As it is the bridge at Lulham counts as an unofficial western crossing, to the detriment to the C1098 lane and those who live on it. (Lights blue touch paper and retires...)

Yes Hillbilly when that bridge at Bridge Sollars or Lulham was renewed something should have been done to widen the road and the bridge thus taking a lot more traffic away from the centre.  A lot of people have said this for years but there are quite a few houses along that route so it wouldn't really be  ........................

There was definitely more accessability than now. Problem is everyone wants their motor car. I can understand those living in the countryside need one, but in the city some families have got more than 2 cars on their drive, many transporting just one individual. I gave mine up years ago and hire one when I want one - walking and cycling is so much easier. You could use the bus, but they have been cut back and do not run late, so it's no wonder the roads are jammed full of traffic.

If people have 2 or more cars they've too much money and/or cars are too cheap to run. In fact cars are so cheap to run that buses and trains cannot compete on value for money. When did we become america? Its bad for our bodies and psychy and its bad for our environment and planet. Too my diguest the cost of motoring is actually falling, many of my neighbours have forgotten that they can get somewhere using just their legs and they show contempt for people who choose too walk by parking all over the Bloody pavements.

Sorry got myself wound up!

I can only see a station at Rotherwas working if they use any built sidings to turn round and refuel the London Midland Trains to return to Birmingham. They can then just extend the timetable to allow for this. At the moment the Birmingham trains use the sidings just past the bridge at Commercial Road. Arriva may stop but the distance between the station and Rotherwas is too close. What sort of freight traffic would be called for at Rotherwas. Moreton on Lugg works because of the minerals.

• 1 month later...

With the Rail Link the proposal would be provide link off the Newport to Shrewsbury line to provide a new station in the heart of Rotherwas a park and ride facility, plus allowance for long term for a freight hub.

The Birmingham to Hereford services would then be extended to / from Rotherwas. A timetable study had already been undertaken before taking this to full council and London Midland have supported in principle Herefordshire Council taking this forward.

What has to be remembered that as it has been to Full Council and voted on it becomes part of the Councils Transport Strategy.

The benefits are

1 - Direct Service to / from Birmingham

2 - Extend job opportunities further to the East and North of the County and it is proven with a rail link businesses are attracted to areas because of this.

3 - No long term maintenance costs as Network Rail take full responsibility of this

There can be no harm in developing Rotherwas in this way particularly the freight hub. More freight runs the route than you think and often when a breakdown occurs it blocks the whole line.Sadly though Jonny,s wish to repair Beechings deeds are lost because much of these lines especially to the east have been dug over or built on in many places. The cost would be huge and it would be many years before it started to pay. I see no reason why we could not look at some form of local tram network.As for the roads well I know it's controversial but it's a complete ring road for me because this east or west thing just runs and runs and in the meantime nothing happens which is why the authorities will play it safe and build a road that nobody wants.

I can only see a station at Rotherwas working if they use any built sidings to turn round and refuel the London Midland Trains to return to Birmingham

The Twitter feed suggests that the London Midland service has been a shambles the last two days for the HFD to Birmingham route ... 

• 2 weeks later...

Well Paul you may get your way and a freight terminal to boot.I'm hearing noises from good old London Town that the rail companies are changing focus from passengers to freight where it seems that there is more money to be had. The problem is that they need to find away round the commuter network so that's where our north/south line comes in handy after all I think the Manchester/Cardiff train is hourly and our Arriva Trains service has only a couple of coaches so what of it if a few commuters get held up when a freight train gets priority. After all they could use this line throughout the night for most of the route is pretty rural. I would watch this one as I think it could become very topical.

I dream of the day that the welsh government get their act together and start running high speed trains between north and south wales, some nice modern Pendolinos perhaps. It amazes me that have such slow, old, crappy and small trains connecting the 2 halfs of their country.

• 11 months later...

So it looks like this has been scrapped then according to this article in this week's HT...

PROPOSALS for a new Hereford rail link have been scrapped after a report found the scheme did not offer value for money.

A report signed off at cabinet level this week said no further work would be undertaken to progress the scheme for a new link between the city’s railway station and the Rotherwas Industrial Estate.

It comes after the release of a Herefordshire Council’s ‘New Station High Level Demand and Business Case’ study, which also found the scheme would require an ongoing subsidy.

The study, which followed standard transport business case methodology and was carried out by Parsons Brinckerhoff for the council, found a new station on an existing rail line would need to generate an annual passenger demand of at least 70,000 journeys.

However, the forecast of current demand – if the new station was operational now – would be 19,300 journeys per year.

The future total demand – incorporating the full development of the Rotherwas Enterprise Zone and housing – would be 34,100 journeys per year, while the link was estimated to cost £11.5m. Further figures quoted a predicted revenue shortfall of £118,000 per year.

Adrian Bridges, a Belmont rural parish councillor and one of the biggest campaigners for the Rotherwas rail link, said a “golden opportunity” has been missed.

Cabinet agreed in January to carry out an initial development plan to see whether there was a business case for the new rail link.

In February it was agreed additional funding of up to £125,000 might be drawn from reserves to commission more detailed feasibility work – based on the outcome of the initial report.

Share article

That £125,000 will now be retained for reserves.

Councillor Philip Price, cabinet member for infrastructure, said the report showed there would never be enough demand to support the rail link scheme financially.

This was discussed at the disasterious council meeting about the core Strategy, but what some people may not know is that yes its got to be accepted onto the transport plan, but it also part of the Southern Link road plan between A465 and A49 into Rotherwas. With so much objection to this link road another road which I have called 'the road to nowhere' I cannot see this road being built.Neither the Southern Link road or the rail link is coming out of council coffers. The rail link and its running cost was being paid for by Network Rail and the money for the road was from central government, so NO COST TO HEREFORDSHIRE COUNCIL!!.