Petition: Reverse Decision To Reduce Grass Cutting

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Here is a link to web-site about statutory duties re Hedge cutting ect..

The Council are legally obliged to take action against anyone causing an obstruction/danger to public signage, pathways or highways...in fact I received a notice demanding me to cut my hedge as it was overgrown by 1 inch and was allegedly obstructing my road sign several years ago..

It therefore follows that this same duty falls upon Herefordshire Council and failing to cut the grass and/or hedges, verges in areas where it becomes a danger is in my opinion illegal:

http://www.propertysurveying.co.uk/newsletter/?page_id=7767

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/hedges-law_tcm6-30966.pdf

https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/service-strips-public-highway-grass-verges

I think it would help if there was a Parish Poll on grass cutting...... and I would love one calling for the removal of the Cabinet System which is completely undemocratic and unaccountable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendums_in_the_United_Kingdom

yes Colin I mentioned the petition and how many signatures were on it, I also stated that I had signed it!

I was very angry at the meeting and the chairman just reiterated what we already knew again I stated the grass was so long in Newton Farm the tree branches were coming down to meet the grass the whole area is looking derelict together with the hoarding for the regeneration it looks like a bomb site. Everything we said fell on deaf ears in my opinion.

Bank Holiday Monday an elderly lady yorkshire terrier puppy ran off it took five of us two hours to find it because it had fallen asleep in the long grass and we couldn't see it!

Just returned from my dog walking, ambushed a couple of times regarding the mess and state of our once tidy grass areas. I was asked when another cut was due,BB told me three weeks ago there would be one more cut this year which would make it three weeks time.

At the meeting we had with the Council and BB Mr. Williams from BB stated that this may not be the case, so he was asked for a timetable of this activity, nothing yet.

On passing the tennis courts on the King George I noticed that the grass courts were having the second cutting of the week, also the putting green is kept tidy by being mown every week in case anyone ever wants to putt around.

Not sure how pot hole repairs are going sleeping policemen in Walnut Tree Ave. have what looks like a good repair but with all this grass cutting correspondence pot holes have been demoted to second place, keep reporting them to BB folks.

What about Tom Jones " The green green grass of Hereford "

As an aside I am having to cut my grass every 4 days - first time ever , previously it was once every 7 days - just finished and my cheap gardening gloves have made my hands blue - not with cold but dye.

Well here it is,the list of where and when grass will be cut

rea Due to be cut week commencing Ledbury 2 June, 17 and 25 August Kington 9 June, 1 September Weobley 9 June, 1 September Stretton Sugwas 9 June, 1 September Credenhill 9 June, 1 September Bromyard 16 June, 8 September Ross-on-Wye 23 and 30 June, 15 and 22 September Leominster 2 and 9 June, 14 and 21 July, 25 and 1 September Hereford north east 9 and 16 June, 1 and 8 September Hereford north 16 and 23 June, 8 and 15 September Hereford west 23 and 30 June, 15 and 22 September Hereford south 30 June, 7, 14 and 21 July, 22 and 29 September, 6 and 13 October

Section 215 (s215) of the Town & Country Planning Act 1990 (the Act) provides a local planning authority (LPA) with the power, in certain circumstances, to take steps requiring land to be cleaned up when its condition adversely affects the amenity of the area. If it appears that the amenity of part of their area is being adversely affected by the condition of neighbouring land and buildings, they may serve a notice on the owner requiring that the situation be remedied.

These notices set out the steps that need to be taken, and the time within which they must be carried out. LPAs also have powers under s219 to undertake the clean up works themselves and to recover the costs from the landowner. The use of s215 by LPAs is discretionary and it is therefore up to the LPA to decide whether a notice under these provisions would be appropriate in a particular case, taking into account all the local circumstances. LPAs will need to consider, for example, the condition of the site, the impact on the surrounding area and the scope of their powers. In some circumstances s215 notices may be used in conjunction with other powers, for example, repair notices in respect of listed buildings or dangerous structure notices.

The most important message that LPAs should be aware of is that s215 action can be taken against land and buildings – in s336 of the Act the definition of ‘land’ includes a building.

One benefit of the successful use of s215 notices is the ‘ripple’ effect it generates, especially in residential areas. LPAs have reported that often once a notice has been issued and work begun, work on neighbouring properties has also commenced, resulting in improved standards and conditions over a wide area. LPA experience has shown that often the mere ‘threat’ of a s215 notice elicits a similar response.

Publicity, whether via local media or merely word of mouth, of an LPA’s willingness to use initiatives such as s215 notices and actively pursue landowners in an effort to improve and regenerate their areas is also an incredibly strong tool. Public perception of this kind of enforcement action has proven extremely popular. The issue of eyesores is clearly one that is close to people’s hearts and confronting the problem head on using s215 powers could potentially show the LPA in a positive light.

Run-down and derelict buildings convey all sorts of negative impressions. If an LPA combats them with comprehensive remedial action, people will feel better about the area, whether they are residents, businesses or tourists.

There is an important economic issue in favour of comprehensive s215 action: if a town is presentable, people will want to visit or live there, and businesses will want to locate there.

Pity this is only aimed at private individuals. A shame that the Council doesn't follow this guidance for the eyesores they create and that includes the fire ruined buildings in High Town. The powers who draw up this advice always fail to close the loopholes which allow public bodies to carry on in this manner.

Good News for Tupsley,Hereford Housing are going to send a task force of men and machinery to help CUT THE GRASS on the quarry they will work with community group on our work day this Sunday then will be looking at all areas of Tupsley to get it back to tip top condition they should be applauded for taking a corporate responsibility at there expense so please retweet and share they deserve the credit well done HH.

FB Announcement by Bill Kenyon

Megilleland, re your post above....with our council, it's most definitely a case of "Do as I say, not as I do."

Wouldn't you agree?

Excellent news for the Tupsley area though, another well done to Jim for getting HH to work with the community group!!

Jim (not Bill) Kenyon. Good on him. Begs the question if another corporation can do part of the City, why not all of it? Just delete it from BB's contract and with the money saved, pay someone else on a more realistic scale. Leader Johnson has publicly stated it is the Council calling the tune not BB, so let the council call this one.

Jim (not Bill) Kenyon. Good on him. Begs the question if another corporation can do part of the City, why not all of it? Just delete it from BB's contract and with the money saved, pay someone else on a more realistic scale. Leader Johnson has publicly stated it is the Council calling the tune not BB, so let the council call this one.

Firstly my apologies to Jim Kenyon for having a brain fade moment on the link. Can Colin edit it? Not because I look a t!t but just to get it right! 

I think there are three issues here ... 

HH are stepping in to do unpaid work to improve the area which is to be appreciated on any level ...

Secondly HH are doing work that Tupsley people have already paid for! 

Thirdly ... This sets a precedent that could easily morph into a normal chain of events ...

This is now turning into a competition which will divide the City even further. Which Councillor can form the best Community group? They will be giving out awards next for the best maintained areas!

What we need to know was grass cutting in the original contract signed with BB ?

Just to let you good folks know....

We returned from Hay yesterday evening, and as the weather was dry for once, rather than take the main road, we came the back way through Bredwardine.

At the junction which brings you out onto the main Hereford to Brecon Road, we attempted to turn right towards Hereford. The verges here are SO overgrown, you virtually have to be halfway across the road before you can see clearly. This is really dangerous, and needs to be sorted.

On a Saturday evening, the traffic was light. On another day, at a different time, it will be a very different story.

Herefordshire Housing were up Tupsley today (at The Quarry) cutting the grass. That looks like a top drawer job to me ~ also collecting the clippings. This is totally contrary to the half baked Council efforts ... The photo was publicly posted via Twitter by Jim Kenyon ... 

10373818_10154178242335198_2395123887938

Looks like an excellent job hope Hereford Housing charge HC for the work and double time for Sunday working.

Reading the comments on Facebook Your Hereford and HC a lot of people are very angry about the lack of grass cutting.  Perhaps the anger has been brewing for sometime and this has just tipped it over the edge I do not know.  Hope they all remember this state of affairs when they come to put their cross on the paper next year! 

I would absolutely echo that sentiment, Denise!

We need to take every opportunity to remind folks of all the misdeeds, dodgy deals, and bare faced lies we have all suffered, at the hands of this calamitous cabinet. They all need to go.

Jim, on the other hand, is a top bloke.

I wish he was my ward councillor!

Yes megilleland well said but let's not forget IOC are also getting some kudos from this little escapade! I'm sorry but am I the only one who sees this as a PR dream for IOC ? They couldn't wait to get those pictures online! When are you people going to wake up and see this is all politically driven! I would have been more impressed if they had cut the grass and kept quiet, but alas no they had to get it online! Look what we've done how wonderful are we? I'm sorry but being a nice guy isn't what wins elections!

I await the backlash!

Yes megilleland well said but let's not forget IOC are also getting some kudos from this little escapade! I'm sorry but am I the only one who sees this as a PR dream for IOC ? They couldn't wait to get those pictures online! When are you people going to wake up and see this is all politically driven! I would have been more impressed if they had cut the grass and kept quiet, but alas no they had to get it online! Look what we've done how wonderful are we? I'm sorry but being a nice guy isn't what wins elections!

I await the backlash!

Jim posted the picture on his own facebook page. IOC were not mentioned and it is not on their site. I think he's trying to get the message out that things can be changed. It looks to be a good job. As I've said before - take it out of BB's contract and get it done better and cheaper by local labour.

I await the backlash!

There is always a Political agenda going on if you are a Councillor ~ and this 'stunt' will be welcomed 100% by the people who use that area .... Personally I feel that Jim Kenyon probably is trying to care for the area ... the fallout will always be that he's trying to get votes at the next ballot.