Would this be Britain's most expensive urban motorway?

THOUGH still not a certainty, the accursed Link Road to Nowhere last week took a step nearer to being more than the collective wet dream of Messrs Jarvis, Johnson and Phillips, and the other limousine-owning members of the Cabinet who believe that roads are our salvation.

So how much will it really cost, this 800m-long strip of dual carriage tarmac, stretching from Edgar Street to Aylestone Hill?  'How long is a piece of string?' as my old gran used to answer when asked the unanswerable.

The only 'known' at the moment - and this from no less an authority than former Leader John Jarvis - is that £27M has already been borrowed and banked to fund this pointless vanity project.  The 'unknowns' include: what the Wolverson family was paid to close down its Rockfield DIY store; what the costs of the two 'settlements' with Royal Mail (RM) and Jewson - announced at the end of last week's public inquiry were; who pays for the construction of RM's re-located vehicles park on Jewson's land; and how much Hereford Futures (HF) paid to various highway design consultants over the last five years.  Who will ever forget that Kafkaesque moment when, attempting to unravel HF's £3M running costs, the Scrutiny Committee was advised that the defunct company's recoords and files were in the process of being shredded!

Ok, for argument's sake, let's say the Rockfield pay-off was £6M.  Which would have to mean that the combined RM / Jewson figure would be at least three times greater (negotiating lawyers are no fools when they have precedents to quote).  So that's £24M.  Add in the Jarvis borrowing figure of £27M and you've already hit £51M.  Are your eyes watering?  Then factor in another £1M to cover the road consultants' fees, plus six sets of legal costs.  At £52M - or a staggering £65,000 per metre - this would make the Hereford Link Road (if it ever got built) easily Britain's most expensive urban motorway.  More expensive even (per metre) than the notorious M25 London orbital motorway.

We will have this kind of debate with the by-pass if it ever gets built and to be honest with you it bores me to death.
I'm amazed no bugger has moaned about the different coloured tarmacs that have been used in Newmarket Street

mg - you overlooked the cost of the new Rockfield carpark, which seems to have consumed the county's entire allocation of tarmac. I'll wager that, with demolition, there was no change from £0.25m. That's a mere drop in a pothole compared to the cost of 125 parcels of compulsorily purchased land and all of the legal add-on's £??m. Oh, and how could you overlook the redesign and resubmission for planning permission when it was realised that the whole road was 600mm too low to allow drainage by gravity and had to be redesigned? Consultants fees - £0.1m

'A mile of new motorway costs on average £30m' according to the Highways Agency - and that’s for 6 lanes. We're getting just two lanes at a substantially higher cost! Is something awry?

We will have this kind of debate with the by-pass if it ever gets built and to be honest with you it bores me to death.

I'm amazed no bugger has moaned about the different coloured tarmacs that have been used in Newmarket Street

I'll moan - they're looking scruffy already - did no one realise that that tyres scrub as they turn a corner? The exits into and out of Widemarsh St are a mass of rubber skidmarks already. That's value engineering for you.

Well I'll never walk upon this route to doom or drive upon it. Never! Im a Commercial Road man. Allways have been and allways will be. And if they ever choose to close Commercial Road in some sneaky attempt to get me onto it, I'll either stay in doors or walk around the City to get to the battle cruiser I choose to drink in.

Im a man of principles and once I've got something into my head its near on impossible to get it out of my head. Mind, having principles ain't all its cracked up to be. This new shopping development has caused a huge divide within my wedded union. Now, because of this new economic reality, we have two cupboards in our kitchen. Mine is labelled the 'High Town food' cupboard whilst hers is called the 'Not High Town food' cupboard. And worse, she says, 'I ain't cooking the High Town food found within the High Town food cupboard.

Whatsmore, this stance she's bloody taking has crept upstairs. I now find myself in another bed which she now calls, The High Town' bed. Mind, none of this scares me and I'll be damned if Im the first to step over the line and stray into her cupboard and start feasting on her Waitrose food. I'd sooner starve and by the bloody looks of things, unless she gives ground, I might just have to tolerate rapid weight loss in pursuit of my principles.

Stupidfrustration, Buddy if you ever had the misfortune to meet me you'd be very disappointed. Incidentally, I enjoyed your little 'war' with Roger regarding smoking.

Im a smoker. I love it. The best decision I ever made was to become a committed smoker. My Grandfather was a committed smoker. Ninety a day. One after another and each time he stubbed his cigarette with his right foot he'd be puffing on another one.

When he sadly died, the post mortem revealed two things. Firstly his lungs, both of them, were perfectly clear and unblemished by any tar or nicotine deposits and secondly the cause of death was Cancer of the right toe.

My warmest regards pal.

Bobby, as long as you have High Town beer, High Town smokes, and High Town pork rind, you'll have all food groups covered!!

GridKnocker - your maths cannot be faulted! At this price I would expect it to be made of gold.....not unlike the yellow brick road in The Wizard Of Oz!!  Now, who doesn't have a heart, who doesn't have courage, and who doesn't have a brain.....??????

BREAKING NEWS…

Hereford council have just confirmed that Talking Heads will perform live @ the opening ceremony of said link road when it finally gets built? Opening with there smash hit " road to nowhere" before finishing with "psycho killer"

there maybe some irony in this as once your on the road to nowhere the chance are you will turn into a psycho killer? especially when you get to nowhere??!!

Roger was talking tosh - and tosh frustrates me!!!

I have no need to be a "keyboard warrior" but I will call people on their tosh talking.

I don't think I'm a keyboard warrior as you put it .... They are mainly anonymous ... I don't think I am trying too hard to conceal my identity ... Ridiculous swipe I think ... 

Roger this is not the thread to continue the debate, however passing comment on a department store showing a negative impression because some staff members smoke is pathetic. Not only did you feel the need to post about it - "I will inform their head office by the form of twitter privately to let them know this situation"

Oh no - it wasn't private - it was in a very public way.

So what should the smokers do - seriously - what are the options :

1) not smoke for the 10 hour shift

2) smoke inside

3) smoke at the front doors

4) smoke at the trades men's entrance

I tell you what - those policemen are a problem - the other day I saw some police officers in the barrels having a drink.

They were talking loudly, laughing, smoking in the beer garden and enjoying each other's company.

I better let bill longmore know - police officers drink alcohol ! Bloody disgusting I say no wonder this county is in a mess!

( I take it you get the point - no need to let bill know )

Roger this is not the thread to continue the debate, however passing comment on a department store showing a negative impression because some staff members smoke is pathetic

I disagree.

If you ran a business, would you want your staff standing at the front door smoking in their uniforms? Businesses have designated smoking areas and policies for a reason - it promotes professionalism

Biomech - I gave you a tick on another post but had to take one away here - even though I agree with you.

Looking at what you said - you would want your staff to smoke "out the back" - however out the back in this case can partially still be seen. As such - out the back is the best soloution that Debenhams are useing, however Roger got upset and had to tell Head Office that you can still see that some Debenhams staff smoke. Naughty naughty - Debenhams!

@ Cambo: sorry, casting say the role of the Wicked Witch was promised long ago to Dame Olwyn Barnett of Mortimer.

The munchskins are currently being auditioned in the staff car park at Plough Lane.

Any suggestions for the Wizard - who, as we all know, is finally unmasked as a patrhetic old duffer hiding behind a curtain using a megaphone to enhance his feeble voice?

Ok fair one on the witch. The wizard well it could only be cllr tony Johnson he fits the part perfectly?!

Now mighty one wot about those devilish looking flying monkey things…who can with give those parts too?

Central casting has just confirmed that Cllr Johnson has accepted the role of the Wizard.  Also, Cllr Phil Edwards has agreed to take the role of the Straw Man and will lend his bicycle to Dame Olwyn for the Wiked Witch's cycling-through-the-sky scene. 

Casting for munchkins is currently extremely competitive out in the staff car park of Plough Lane's Lubyanka, due to massive impending redundancies. 

The Tin Man role will probably go to Cllr Blackshaw (he's tall, thin and clanks a lot); but the one un-filled part remains the timid lion - likes to seem ferocious, but is really a kitten.  Chris Chappell?

Send them to the top storey car park - I don't want to be served by staff who smell of smoke, who hang around a back door, letting smoke waft back into the building, who stand/slouch/sit on the side of the A49 for all the world to see and who, invariably, toss their stinking butts in the road.

Smokers are the worst litterers in the country, with cigarette ends and matchsticks being the most common form of litter. 

Around 122 million tonnes of cigarette litter is dropped EVERY DAY across the UK, which costs Councils (ie you and me) £342m a year to clean up in England alone (albeit nothing at all in Hereford as they abandon sweeping the streets). Worst still, a cigarette butt contains about 4000 dangerous chemicals which wash into waterways, harming wildlife and creating a serious biohazard. A butt takes 12 years or more to biodegrade. Despite all this, most smokers don't regard themselves as creating a problem.

Well I ain't t taking this. Not even from my dear friend TwoWheels. I'll be damned if I sit back and take this. Im a smoker. I've allways been a smoker and unless Jesus takes me and I go hurtling off toward the heavenly light, I'll continue to be a smoker.

Blast his eyes, both of them, for describing me and my brethren as 'stinkers'. I demand an appology upon these pages. I didn't get to rock bottom by accident and I ain't for sitting back and swallowing this latest critique aimed at those of us who choose to help pay off our gross national debt by smoking cigarettes.

I demand my appology or else!

Roger this is not the thread to continue the debate, however passing comment on a department store showing a negative impression because some staff members smoke is pathetic. Not only did you feel the need to post about it - "I will inform their head office by the form of twitter privately to let them know this situation"

Oh no - it wasn't private - it was in a very public way.

I better let bill longmore know - police officers drink alcohol ! Bloody disgusting I say no wonder this county is in a mess!

You seem to have attributed a quote to me which I never made. The quote was actually this ... 'I told Debenhams this by way of feedback on their Twitter account which was acknowledged in the spirit in which the info. was given.' I never actually said whether the communication was public or private but assumed people would presume it was Public - which it was. I never said it was private or gave the impression it was.

It wasn't a moan as I couldn't give a sh!t personally. It was feedback to Debenhams as I thought a crowd of uniformed staff gathered at that particular location (smoking) sent out a negative impression of the shop. It wasn't a criticism of smoking. It was an observation about staff behaviour that could be construed as 'slacking'.

Here is the tweet:

deb.jpg

At any large shop you are always going to get smokers' in the mix so it's up to the shop to manage their staff needs. And balance that with promoting their brand and exuding confidence in customer service. Which seems to have fell flat on it's arse (for whatever reason) in the food moan on the other thread.

As for Bill Longmore then don't start me on him! He got elected on a 14.54% turnout so obviously no mandate as such. I wish him well in his recovery from illness but his shady appointment of his crony Barrie Sheldon was not well received by me. Nor by MP's ... He has been the PCC in recent months having been elected by no one. Total fiasco! 

Guardian

Has he donated that £20K yet ?

Election Pledge

Just as a point - today I was in town and I saw a guy - with a "jet pack" blasting off the chewing gum!

Anyone remember this gimmick!

_48772277_-3.jpg

I saw one slung between the tracks at Hereford Railway Station at the time (2010)

I doubt they collected enough gum to make even one bike tyre!

BBC