20,000 visitors to OLM tomorrow (says the Council)

The salty hulk (partly) opens tomorrow - on the Councils website they say 'We expect around 15,000 to 20,000 visitors to Old Market on 1 May. For those planning to travel inside the city, walking and cycling is recommended.' Oh dear lord, the traffic will be stationery for a 10 mile radius. At say 2 to a car,  that’s up to 10,000 cars - the council, in a masterly understatement to avoid widespread panic, say 'with large visitor numbers anticipated, car parks on the Old Market site may become full.' For once, they may be right. Never mind the jambs, count the money from the car parks … 

And if 20,000 don't turn up?

ha ha mind you I think the council are being pretty optimistic with those numbers. Lets hope and pray that the traffic lights fail then for all our sakes or it will be pandemonium, which may in the long run be a blessing...  

For those planning to travel inside the city, walking and cycling is recommended

That says it all really.

I've never been against the development... well, I guess I am now that it turns out that they lied and it's full of shops we already have.

But I would certainly smile if it all falls flat on it's face tomorrow. No doubt there will be "first 10,000 customers get a free fish finger" promotions and, as we saw with Rockfield, down and out Herefordians will flock for their handout.

They would have been much better off finishing the thing and then opening the whole lot in one big launch instead of dribbles of openings between construction equipment and empty units.

I wonder, does anyone know if parking will be free for the launch? Because that could be fun to watch

ha ha mind you I think the council are being pretty optimistic with those numbers. Lets hope and pray that the traffic lights fail then for all our sakes or it will be pandemonium, which may in the long run be a blessing...  

No way will there be 20,000 visitors today, dreaming I think, mind you, I am currently sat in a very long traffic jam south of Hereford and it feels like there are 20,000 cars right now, its a nightmare, should get to the city centre sometime this morning, hopefully  :Angry:

Well I ain't going to be one of them. Not me. Never! It'll be as K Butt describes, pandemonium. It's the only bloody outcome. It's no game of bloody chance and uncertain outcomes. It'll be bloody chaos on a scale yet to be witnessed within our once fair City. Think back to the days when they reversed all the traffic. Do you remember? Well multiply that experience by a factor of ten and you'll be halfway to understanding just how bad its all going to be.

The whole things a dog and I ain't going. Never! Im a High Town man and I refuse not to be a High Town man.

No way will there be 20,000 visitors today, dreaming I think, mind you, I am currently sat in a very long traffic jam south of Hereford and it feels like there are 20,000 cars right now, its a nightmare, should get to the city centre sometime this morning, hopefully

Ross Road was fine this morning and the bridge looked pretty empty on my way to Asda, you must have been coming down Belmont road - which just shows that it's the lights causing that problem.

As for the 20,000 people, I've seen this picture appear quite a few times on facebook today

10175998_10152851069704852_5495534704528

Agreed, perhaps people are staying away like they did when newmarket street was being dug up and the council claimed everything was alright.
It's a shame that the anti-impartial HT doesn't report on everything but chooses to focus only on the little highlights they can pick out.

Mind you, have you noticed that the HT facebook page is dead for user interaction and comments yet the local groups pages are booming with activity

I was expecting the traffic to be bad but I must admit traffic flow has vastly improved.I have never seen it this good in a long time,lets hope it stays like this.Had a good look around and ended up in FIT in Widemarsh Street and bought a pair of jeans :-).
The pedestrian access is very good too

So my take on it :

Its here - no point moaning too much now.

Traffic - to be honest - it seems to be flowing around town fairly well today - no obvious problems - but we have "rush hour" still to come.

The site - its clean/tidy/no obvious work outstanding and to the untrained eye ( like mine ) looks professionally done.

The shops - ah - here is where the problem could be. There are a load of empty units - some im sure will be opening in the next few weeks, but opening like this - well, if I had come a long distance especially to shop on this new site today, then I would not come back. Why would I?

It all felt just a little "flat" today.

The site doesnt feel like you are in Hereford. Dont know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Will be interesting if in a month or so where it is up to with all the empty units. I hope for the sake of all, that they are filled quickly.

Bobby said

The whole things a dog and I ain't going. Never! Im a High Town man and I refuse not to be a High Town man. .......

Bobby, I would rather you used another word rather than dog - when my rescue Golden Retriever called Charlie read your post he was quite annoyed and upset , in fact it's only his excitement at celebrating his 4th birthday tomorrow that stopped him from running down Commercial Road to a well know hostelry to sort you out.

I didn't go down there today as I never needed to.

I'm not going to knock it as most of the feedback I've seen on the web today has been positive. However you can't get away from the fact that in the big scheme of things (even when all units are up and running) it is relatively small. I don't think it will attract shoppers from

Shrewsbury/Worcester/Gloucester for instance. I think it's fairly and squarely a facility for the 'locals' ~ to include Ross/Leominster/Ledbury/Hay.

It will be interesting to look at what is happening overall in 12 months time. After everything has settled down. As there will be an impact on the existing Centre. Can't imagine M&S will be pleased after their multi-million pound basement refurbishment a few years ago ... 

Just as a side note some folk were down Asda today trying to scrounge stuff for the Food Bank ...

asda.jpg

Not that the hordes down at the Waitrose shop are Food Bank patrons!