Old Market Car Park Prices Announced

CAR park prices at the Old Market in Hereford have been released.

The prices are exactly the same as the Maylord Orchards car park, although Maylords is cheaper on Sundays.

There will be 600 car park spaces available at the Old Market, including 31 disabled bays and 22 parent and child spaces.

Merton Meadow car park is  Â£2 all day.

Old Market Car Park Charges

1 hour: £1.20

2 hours: £2.40

3 hours: £3.60

4 hours: £4.80

5 hours: £6.50

6 hours: £8.80

Over 6 hours: £10.50

Old Market Website link to car park prices

The publicity for the pricing does not make it abundantly clear if there is a start/end time for these charges. I am assuming they are 24/7 unless someone could tell me otherwise.

I wouldn't want to park at the new development at, say, 8 PM to go and nip into Waitrose to buy a sandwich if the car parking for 5 minutes was £1.20 and the sarnie was £2. 

The only thing guaranteed in this world is that the Council will be all over the enforcement of these spaces like a rash. They'll have 1000 spaces to play with what with the adjacent multi storey there as well. It wouldn't surprise me if they have someone permanently stationed there in maybe a hut.

If Sanctuary Housing ever get around to building their vision of an "Urban Village" on the Merton Meadow site, then I guess that cheap, long stay parking will disappear altogether.

This will have a huge impact on city centre workers, many of whom will not be on much more than the minimum wage.

I wonder if staff parking is available at the OLM?? After all, with the well publicised "1000 Jobs" that have been created, they too, will need to park somewhere!

As usual, the figures just don't add up!

Well with these prices they have just killed it in my opinion!

Most decent shopping centres have FREE parking, no attraction here at all! Not even the first 2 hours are FREE...

So they want us to pay to park our vehicles in order to visit their stores and spend our money, yeah right

I'm told that Waitrose is free to park at Monmouth. Although I've never used it. 

I don't know if any of these stores will refund the parking (for a minimum spend) if you can prove you paid for it? 

I don't know what type of parking ticket these Council machines issue as I can't remember ever buying one. Is it just a one part one that you leave in the car? Or a two part one like at Morrison's ~ which is private.

Local people will not pay these extortionate parking charges.

Visitors, curious to see "The Only New Shopping Centre To Be Opened In 2014", will come once.

They will not return.....!!

I've added my two pence worth to the Hereford Times item on this subject. Podge (the author) has revised that article at least twice! He has clarified tho that the charges are 24/7 ... The Council are strapped for cash so a warden climbing out of a bush at 5 AM to zap a ticket has not been ruled out! In my view anyway! 

Hells Bells!

24 hours a day?? At these prices, it will be empty for most of the time!

Going to the cinema, is not a cheap night out anyway. Factor in the parking charges, I can't see many folk wanting to hang around and stay for a meal......when the cost of parking is increasing hour by hour!

Another thing!

Who is going to want to do their weekly food shop in Waitrose, with these sort of charges?

The weekly food shop is one of those times when you do need to have the car parked relatively close to the store, as the bags are heavy.....and sometimes fragile if you don't pack the red wine very carefully!

One thing we have plenty of in Hereford is supermarkets......and this will be the most expensive to access!

Please don't say "Why Dippy! Simply buy online and get it delivered!" Because we all know that will never happen!

'For an hour of free parking spend £20 or more in Waitrose' it says on the new website. That’s about the only concession. How that’s going to work I've no idea. I can imagine there will be some sort of friction between the developers and stanhope about these charges - they're going to deter shoppers without a doubt. Typically myopic council thinking - grab the money and sod the consequences.

http://www.oldmarkethereford.co.uk/neighbourhood

What about some innovation? Free electric shuttle bus between the station and the OLM for instance. Concessions for cycling as they do for the Eden project. 

Concessions for cycling as they do for the Eden project. 

Are there a LOT of bike parking bays? I was under the belief that the council wanted to push walking and cycling more, but if there is only the usual or a few amount of places to lockup a biike, it kind of goes against what they are saying.

Do you notice how the charges per hour go UP as well, normally you get a discount for bulk, but in this case you're paying more per hour the longer you stay.

It starts with increments of £1.20, then £1.70 then £2.30, so for your sixth hour - according to that information, you're nearly paying double.

If they were actively trying to deter traffic from the city centre this would make complete sense - but only if teamed with a park & ride on the city outskirts giving shoppers the option between cheaper costs or premium park-next-door convenience.

These costs without a cheaper alternative just deter shoppers full stop.

I don't think park & ride is an option for a supermarket shop. I wouldn't want to drag 4 or 5 bags of shopping on the bus to be dropped off back at the car.

I wouldn't call parking on the surface next to Waitrose a premium perk. It's a basic requirement that a large supermarket provides it. About the only large shop in town that doesn't is M&S where it's not physically possible.

600 spaces is not a huge number of spaces for the size of the development so people, I suppose, might end up pushing trolleys across Blackfriars Street into the Merton Meadow and/or up and down the floors in the lifts of the multi-storey.

I think with the employees at these new shops they are not going to want to pay for any parking. Who can afford £10 parking per shift? They'll probably just add to what already is occurring which is blocking up the side streets which have no restrictions. By me that's Penn Grove Road on that long bend. I suppose you can dump cars on College Road and KIngsway as well.

I think the only guaranteed winners, in the short term at least, will be The Council who potentially will be raking in £1000 an hour at peak periods from that parking when you add up the revenue from the ticket machines and penalty charge notices.

There are 1000 spaces if you factor in Garrick House car park as well, and don't forget this is 24/7 as well. The council have been boasting about £1m+ pa income from this car parking to deflect opinion from the £30-60m they have had to pay for this development (or, rather, we have had to pay, at the expense of every other service), yet people don't seem to connect the two. 

I assume the pricing (more per hour the longer you stay) is intended to encourage a fast turnover of potential customers - they want there to be available spaces all the time.  However it also shows the lie of claiming that it is a regeneration that will benefit the old (historic) city centre.  Anyone parked in the OLM car park, having done a bit of shopping and enjoyed some expensive fried chicken is very unlikely to put their stuff back in the car and say "While we're here, lets stroll over to the old shops in High Town and Church Street - we can leave the car here and cross the attractive shared space that used to be a congested inner ring road".

Why is the parking not FREE? Great incentive to shop in Hereford's new shopping centre. Most other place offer free parking or at least a few hours parking for free. This is not cheap either.  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:   :Cha ching:  :Cha ching:  :Cha ching:  :Cha ching:  :Cha ching:

I don't think there is much wrong (perhaps they are 50p too high). After all this is not an out of town development like Holmer Road. It is city centre and in every other city you have to pay. However Waitrose customers may have a beef as supermarkets are usually free for at least 2 hours.

"If you build it they will come"

I don't think there is much wrong (perhaps they are 50p too high). After all this is not an out of town development like Holmer Road. It is city centre and in every other city you have to pay. However Waitrose customers may have a beef as supermarkets are usually free for at least 2 hours.

"If you build it they will come"

Go to Cabot Circus Â£1.50 for the first hour then only a £1 for every hour after and that is smack in the centre of Bristol where rates are much higher!

CAR PARKING TARIFF:

Monday to Sunday 7am – 5pm: £1.50 for the first hour

£1 per hour (for the following 6 hours)

Over 7 hours £16 per day Monday to Sunday

5pm – 7am: £2

Crown Gate - Worcester 

STANDARD PARKING TARIFF

Up to 1 hour: £1.20                                              Up to 8 hours: £8.60

Up to 2 hours: £2.20                                            Up to 9 hours: £9.80

Up to 3 hours: £2.50                                            Up to 10 hours: £11.00

Up to 4 hours: £3.50                                            Up to 11 hours: £12.20

Up to 5 hours: £5.20                                            Up to 12 hours: £13.40

Up to 6 hours: £6.20                                           Up to 13 hours: £14.60

Up to 7 hours: £7.40                                            Up to 14 hours: £15.80