Former Hereford church for sale

Hereford Times: NEWS RSS FEED 
6:02am Sunday 20th April 2014 in News

Former Hereford church for sale.

ESTATE agents are inviting buyers to bid for a Hereford church.

Chandos Methodist Church has been closed since September 2012 after it was deemed surplus to requirements.

Estate agent Sunderlands and Thompsons now has the task of finding a buyer for the Whitecross site.

It is asking for offers in the region of £120,000, which need to be delivered by noon on May 1.

Any prospective purchasers are asked to make enquiries to Herefordshire Council prior to making a bid.

The church was built in 1903 on the corner of Chandos Street and Whitehorse Street.

But, two years ago, its worshippers realised that they could not continue to maintain the building and the decision was taken to close.

The congregation has since moved to St John's Methodist Church in St Owen Street.

Its Minister, Revd David Meachem, said that the move has "revitalised" St John's.

"The reason we closed Chandos Church was because, as what happens with a lot of churches, people worshipping got to the end and the maintenance was beyond their resources," said Revd Meachem.

"They took the brave decision to close it and join St John's.

"I was the Minister of both churches, so I oversaw the transition from old building to new building.

"Everyone who worshipped at Chandos Street moved to St John's and it has revitalised the life of the St John's congregation.

"We have a Sunday school that we didn't have before and most of the people who moved to St John's have active roles in the church.

"It has been like a blood transfusion - a real shot in the arm."

For more information about the sale, call Philip Ashman at Sunderlands and Thompsons on 01432 356161.

Why is this a prerequisite. Is it about planning or finance?

This is a lovely building !

I walk past it most days. I am not sure, Megilleland, but maybe the reason is something to do with parking. In Whitecross, parking is predominantly on street. I understand that any new development within this area has to have adequate parking. There is no outdoor space to speak of with this building. Maybe that is the issue for anybody who may perhaps be thinking of converting it.

Like I say, I don't know, but this would be my best guess!!

• 1 month later...