Traffic Lights Campaign - Part -Time Lights 7pm-7am

HT report here http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/12920473.Hereford_traffic_lights__out_of_sync__/?ref=mr&lp=3

Another reason to get rid of the damned things. I understood SCOOT is managed from Worcester, as a hangover  from the old H & W days - they have up to date software, which works, we do not. Even when it is working, I see no evidence of intelligent management of the lights. 

It's ridiculous.

Local radio have just said that it's awful right across the city, with queuing traffic on Roman Road, Whitecross Road, Belmont Road, Ross Road and Aylestone Hill.

So basically if you're attempting to either get through, or get into town..... they'll be a significant delay.

Thank goodness it's not May Fair week!

• 1 year later...

While waiting yet again for the lights to change when not a car in sight I noticed that the lights in Blackfriars St have ground sensors.
Obviously not working and have not been for probably since they were installed.
About to send an email to highways to see if they can enlighten me

Whilst riding my bike to the rail station in the week to catch the 0642 to work, I am always held waiting at the junction of Commercial, Aylestone and the road to the station whilst green lights come on at all four crossing points when no-one has pressed a button to cross! The other day, there was just myself and a Police BMW waiting.Even the bobbies were shaking their heads at the pathetic system. Makes you want to ride on the pavement to miss them. There again, I bet if I had done that, I would have got a ticket!  Ragwert, the same happens when I ride down Blackfriars, Pedestrian lights on - NO PEDESTRIANS. Total f**k up.

• 1 month later...

Whilst riding my bike to the rail station in the week to catch the 0642 to work, I am always held waiting at the junction of Commercial, Aylestone and the road to the station whilst green lights come on at all four crossing points when no-one has pressed a button to cross! The other day, there was just myself and a Police BMW waiting.Even the bobbies were shaking their heads at the pathetic system. Makes you want to ride on the pavement to miss them. There again, I bet if I had done that, I would have got a ticket!  Ragwert, the same happens when I ride down Blackfriars, Pedestrian lights on - NO PEDESTRIANS. Total f**k up.

I think these lights have no road sensors so just run on a loop.

The filter arrow for turning left into station approach has never worked.

Today , to my knowledge the Traffic Lights in Commercial Road / Union Walk were not working at 0845 until approx 1140 when an Engineer attended and switched them back on. So on a fairly busy Saturday traffic was moving very well along the main road as was the traffic exiting Union Walk onto Commercial Road . In my opinion this is a set of TL that could be removed . This junction is really no different than Monkmoor St , traffic from both junctions turn both left and right. The only difference is that Monkmoor St does not have TL

• 4 weeks later...

When I worked at BULMER all the timers were held on a server there. And no traffic lights worked off floor sensors.

During electrical shutdowns the source code, data block "file" for the timers were unavailable and the lights worked off the floor sensors. Making it great to travels at night time.

During the day the system of timers is fairer. In my humble opinion.

Tony

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Part-Time lights would be so easy to implement, how many of us find ourselves the only vehicle sat waiting for a red light during the evening and throughout the early hours, it works in Oxford and Gloucester with no problems so there is no reason why this idea could not work here. 

• 1 month later...

From the BBC News Webpage ..........Highways England have just carried out a Survey on Traffic Jams and the result is , and I quote  " The problems were predominantly cased by the introduction of ( you guessed it ) Traffic Lights ." 

On 07/04/2019 at 17:10, Ubique said:

From the BBC News Webpage ..........Highways England have just carried out a Survey on Traffic Jams and the result is , and I quote  " The problems were predominantly cased by the introduction of ( you guessed it ) Traffic Lights ." 

No surprises here then