Kilvert Road Flats.

Glenda Powell

This will be the last time I will be answering you, regardless of you thinking me wrong I have answer you with the true facts gathered with experience and training over many years. Have you stopped to think that maybe you have not got the true facts only  half of it and choose to act upon it! which in actual fact fails the tenants you are attempting to help. May be you would like to read Mr Brown reply to your meeting with him last week, in part he is saying the same as I am. people have tried to help you and to explain matters to you, unfortunately you think you are right and everyone else is wrong because we are not saying what you want to hear, and being abusive will get you nowhere from the people you want to engage with, never mind you will learn the hard way. just to clarify a Tenants Federation is not the same as a tenants association simply because it has more powers and could and often did hold HHL to account. Maybe you should speak to Wendy Jones and she would put you straight on the matter, but be warned she would not take any abuse from you.

JUST A THOUGHT AS YOU HAVE STATED I AM WRONG I AM WONDERING WHY YOU ASK ME TO JOIN YOU!!!

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Asking if we can work together...whilst respecting our right to see things differently is the sensible and honourable thing to do....we are entitled to behave in any way so long as we not hurt or decive and believe me when I say this .....if I was being abusive you and Peter Brown would know about it...I can do abusive and to date I have been nothing of sort...

Peter Brown's response is a nonsense...and does nothing to tackle the issue I raised which was the extortionate cost of the temporary housing....it is also makes no mention of this issue which renders it meaningless.....my conduct was proper at all times during the meeting and it was not I who uttered three profanities during our meeting including the use of the F word

And can you please understand that everything I write is a TRUE record of what someone has said.......so if I say Nikki Griffiths told me...she did....if I repeat what she said and it is wrong take it up with her not me....

Anyway the most important thing is that people in the Tenants Voice can work with me...the vulnerable can work with me and the sick can work with me...if you and the likes of Peter Brown find me irksome and meddling then I take that as a sign I am doing my job properly...

I wish you well with all you do and if you need my help please feel free to contact me 

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

As promised folks here is the e-mail from Herefordshire Housing that clarifies the situation about a Tenants Association or lack of one:

Nikki Griffiths

11:56 (6 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Dear Mr. Smart,

Following-up on our telephone conversation yesterday, I can confirm that the Herefordshire Tenant’s Federation no longer exists, having closed around 2008.

Herefordshire Housing Limited does not currently work in partnership with a formally constituted, grant-funded tenant / resident federation; although we do actively engage, support and work with residents in numerous other forums.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards.

Nikki Griffiths

Nikki Griffiths
Corporate Support Manager
Herefordshire Housing Ltd
Legion Way
Hereford
HR1 1LN
Tel  : 01432 384002
Fax : 01432 384198

As promised folks here is the e-mail from Herefordshire Housing that clarifies the situation about a Tenants Association or lack of one:

Nikki Griffiths
11:56 (6 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Dear Mr. Smart,

Following-up on our telephone conversation yesterday, I can confirm that the Herefordshire Tenant’s Federation no longer exists, having closed around 2008.

Herefordshire Housing Limited does not currently work in partnership with a formally constituted, grant-funded tenant / resident federation; although we do actively engage, support and work with residents in numerous other forums.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards.

Nikki Griffiths

Nikki Griffiths
Corporate Support Manager
Herefordshire Housing Ltd
Legion Way
Hereford
HR1 1LN
Tel  : 01432 384002
Fax : 01432 384198

Fair play to you lad.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

I take no pleasure in proving Councillor Powell wrong .....and I hope an apology is forthcoming 

We are also copying Councillor Powell into the e-mails that are sent by the Tenants Voice because we believe that she has the right to know what is going on ...in her patch and we hope she will join forces to exert some much needed pressure on HHL and its over-paid Board of Governors...because the Tenants have a right to decent housing  :Happy_32:

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Up-date

I challenged Councillor Powell to a debate in the Newton Farm Community Association building and after being told by John Newman that she was WRONG about the NFCA..it has not given advice since 2008 upon advice received from a solicitor..she walked out...

i also asked her for an apology but she could not bring herself to do this as she said "She was only repeating what she had been told by others so was not responsible for being wrong".....

Sadly Councillor Powell has now decided to harass a tenant I work with ..telling them her to chose who she is going to work with as they cannot work with both of us...this is despite me offering once again to attend a site visit with Councillor Powell...

I am considering reporting the matter to the standards board and thought I would ask you guys for your opinions before I do anything else  :Happy_32:

Smartieno1. Taking on the "sainted" Glenda - very brave of you!!! Beware of a backlash from her fan club on here!

Well I will start it off then.

CVP does a lot of good work to be fair to her and has done for many years! Then smartieno1 appears overnight with his plan to fix all.

Aylestone Voice, you have always had an agenda with cvp which is very clear.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Frank..

I have lived in Belmont for 14 years and I used to be a Parish Councillor and chairman of SHARP.....so I have not been around for 5 minutes...I have helped out around this community for many years, including helping the people Glenda cannot help......

Should I really have to put up with Glenda bullying, harassing or causing trouble?  

Frank..

I have lived in Belmont for 14 years and I used to be a Parish Councillor and chairman of SHARP.....so I have not been around for 5 minutes...I have helped out around this community for many years, including helping the people Glenda cannot help......

Should I really have to put up with Glenda bullying, harassing or causing trouble?

I was not attempting to put you down and I have the utmost respect for anyone who gives up their own time to help others, it would just make sense to work together or agree to disagree and move on. All this trying to gain brownie points over each other does neither of you any good...

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

and Frank this is Glenda's latest e-mail correspondence for your perusal;

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Vaughan-Powell, Glenda (Cllr) <gvaughan-powell@herefordshire.gov.uk> wrote:

Dear ********

I am at a loss  that you had not brought this matter to my attention  last year, as one of your local councillors I have dealt with many cases of this sort all with satisfactory results. You have instead chosen to contact Tenants Voice†who are tenants like yourself. It would have been in your best interest if you had contacted  one of your local councillors who has the experience in these matters and who are able to work with your landlord Herefordshire Housing Ltd to bring about a satisfactory result in these matters.

Your sincerely, Glenda

Cllr Glenda Vaughan-Powell

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Vaughan-Powell, Glenda (Cllr) <gvaughan-powell@herefordshire.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Subject: RE: Mould and damp

I am more than willing to help, but I don’t think Mr Smart “tenant voice†will like me interfering as you gone to him. You will have to advise him you now want me to deal with your complain as your local councillor, once you advise me that you have told him I will take your case up. Please let me know by tomorrow morning and I will set the wheels in motion. I do in fact live across the road from you  at 6 Charlton Ave. My phone number is 01432 360456.

Regards, Glenda

Cllr Vaughan-Powell

this was our response:

Philip Smart smartieno1@googlemail.com
10 Apr (2 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to gpowellRichieNikki
cleardot.gif

Dear ********

We at the Tenants Voice are more than happy to work with Councillor Powell to resolve this issue.  I know that you have been contacted by Nikki Griffiths from Herefordshire Housing and may I suggest that once we have a date from HHL, we all meet together to on-site to discuss your options.

Kind regards,

Phil Smart (Tenants Voice)
cleardot.gif
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Vaughan-Powell, Glenda (Cllr) <gvaughan-powell@herefordshire.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Subject: RE: Mould and damp

I am still waiting for your conformation as to whether you would like me to take your case on or not. If so  Can you advise me if the dates in March you mentioned when you spoke to Steve Williams  was that this year or last as your email did not make it clear. I will not be working with Mr Smart as I am not allowed to work with an unelected person, other than the tenant concerned. Be assured your problem with your property and where you live will remain  confidential under the tenant data protection act and will only be discussed with  officers of Herefordshire Housing Ltd. Glenda

Cllr Vaughan-Powell

Belmont ward

So I think you can see that we have desperately tried to offer an olive branch but sadly Glenda refuses to behave and has now started to pester the tenant, which I think is wrong....what do you think?

Could someone close to Glenda have a word please because we still want to work with her as we believe this will increase the pressure on organisations such as Herefordshire Housing

I was not attempting to put you down and I have the utmost respect for anyone who gives up their own time to help others, it would just make sense to work together or agree to disagree and move on. All this trying to gain brownie points over each other does neither of you any good...

I agree with Frank! Sort it out guys your embarrassing yourselves. On another note there is already a Tenants Voice Here, I still think using the word voice is a bit cheeky personally and you are using that name as a cheap way of getting noticed on the back of all Hereford Voice's work, just my view.

Also this is CVP's original topic and you have now tried to make it yours, see the rules;

Rule 14. 14. There will be NO Hijacking of threads. Hijacking is where someone posts within a thread to cause it to change subjects to something other than what was originally created. Such posts may be deleted without reason. Multiple hijackings will result in a temp ban and could lead to a permanent ban. Please keep the discussion on topic or you can always create your own.

I agree with Frank! Sort it out guys your embarrassing yourselves. On another note there is already a Tenants Voice Here, I still think using the word voice is a bit cheeky personally and you are using that name as a cheap way of getting noticed on the back of all Hereford Voice's work, just my view.

I think smartieno1 is trying to help people for which he has my admiration but I do think he should use a different name it's too close to Hereford Voice or it may seem associated which is is not.

Hi Alex, I believe Colin has agreed to have a "page/forum" for Tenants Voice, within this site.

Smartieno1, Your question about reporting Glenda to the standards committee......

My own thoughts are that you should not. I believe that both you and Glenda are doing what you honestly feel is best for the tenants who have issues they need help with resolving.

You have much in common, but completely different approaches. That is not to say that one is right, and the other wrong.

Different CAN be good!

One of the greatest gifts we have is our ability to communicate with one another....words can be extremely powerful, they can soothe a soul, or start a war.

Let's not waste this gift....keep the lines of communication open, keep talking, keep listening, and choose the words we use carefully!

I promise you, there is plenty of common ground to be found as a starting point!

Hi Alex, I believe Colin has agreed to have a "page/forum" for Tenants Voice, within this site.

Smartieno1, Your question about reporting Glenda to the standards committee......

My own thoughts are that you should not. I believe that both you and Glenda are doing what you honestly feel is best for the tenants who have issues they need help with resolving.

You have much in common, but completely different approaches. That is not to say that one is right, and the other wrong.

Different CAN be good!

One of the greatest gifts we have is our ability to communicate with one another....words can be extremely powerful, they can soothe a soul, or start a war.

Let's not waste this gift....keep the lines of communication open, keep talking, keep listening, and choose the words we use carefully!

I promise you, there is plenty of common ground to be found as a starting point!

I have offered smartieno1 (Phil) the facility of my forum for the use of the tenants if is makes it easier for him and everyone, however, I can see it could become confusing with such a similar name as Tenants Voice, I never really thought about it until it was pointed out to me but it could become confusing indeed, so I would prefer a name change to something like Tenants Forum, Tenants View, Tenants Channel, Tenants Say, there are plenty of other alternatives but at the end of the day, I cannot demand a change in name that can only be smartieno1's decision but it may look like we are associated and we are not, so I can appreciate what others have said and after reading H.Wilson's last post there are other associations already using that name, maybe smartieno1 is unaware of?

To be honest, I was under the impression that it was called 'Tenants Association' and just to clarify see our Facebook communication below:

FB.jpg

Regarding communication, dippyhippy is 100% correct, keep the communication doors open otherwise you will just end up fighting against each other (which is what is starting to happen now) when the end goal to 'look after the tenants needs' is the same, this is not about ego's or gaining brownie points over each other as someone has already suggested, you will be stronger working together, you may not always agree but you will be a stronger force for sure.

I have offered smartieno1 (Phil) the facility of my forum for the use of the tenants if is makes it easier for him and everyone, however, I can see it could become confusing with such a similar name as Tenants Voice, I never really thought about it until it was pointed out to me but it could become confusing indeed, so I would prefer a name change to something like Tenants Forum, Tenants View, Tenants Channel, Tenants Say, there are plenty of other alternatives but at the end of the day, I cannot demand a change in name that can only be smartieno1's decision but it may look like we are associated and we are not, so I can appreciate what others have said and after reading H.Wilson's last post there are other associations already using that name, maybe smartieno1 is unaware of?

To be honest, I was under the impression that it was called 'Tenants Association' and just to clarify see our Facebook communication below:

attachicon.gifFB.jpg

Regarding communication, dippyhippy is 100% correct, keep the communication doors open otherwise you will just end up fighting against each other (which is what is starting to happen now) when the end goal to 'look after the tenants needs' is the same, this is not about ego's or gaining brownie points over each other as someone has already suggested, you will be stronger working together, you may not always agree but you will be a stronger force for sure.

You cannot be more fair than that. Yes Tenants Association sounds and is completely separate to HV whereas Tenants Voice could be seen as one and the same. 

smartieno1 keep up the good work and CVP you do the same and both strive to help out the HH tenants, I agree entirely with dippyhippy and Colin's sentiments that two is better than 1 so join forces and work together, it's not about either of you, it's about helping the tenants.  :Thumbs-Up:

attachicon.gifFB.jpg

Ditto, work together!

Colin, can I explain so that everyone will know where I am coming from- 11 years ago the people of the Belmont (Belmont Newton  Farm and Hunderton) ward elected me as their councillor, and I have been priviledged to of been re-elected by my constituents again in 2007 and 2011. As a councillor we have to sign forms of confidentiality for public office if we refuse to sign we cannot be a councillor,one of which is the tenants data protection act In that role when working for our constituents we have to:-

1. work with all trained council officers that can help with whatever the resident is asking help for.

2. If that is complaints with their landlords, we take the matter up with them.

3. If the matter is homelessness we work with the homeless team and benefit office.

4. There is also a team of officers to help residents who are homeowners.

In other words we can only work with recognised social landlords or fully constituted residents associations who are registered with the charity commission, Parish councils or in the case of Newton Farm and Hunderton it is the Hereford city council, as you can see my workload can be and is heavy.

I have tried to explain to Mr Smart that I am unable to get involved with his "tenants voice" because it is neither a legally registered residents association with the charity commission or constituted. In regard to tenant matters or complaints if the tenant has asked for my help which the tenant in question did (I have her email) I set the wheels in motion and she had a visit from HHL officers on 4th March 2014 and the matter is being rectified, materials have been ordered and when they arrive the work will be carried out. I can understand residents often get frustrated because it seems as though nothing is being done, this is where they can then come back to their councillor who is able to ask questions and put pressure on the landlords.

As already been stated there is already a fully constituted "tenant Voice" which would be legally recognised to represent tenants, also again I agree the name tenant voice  is to close to Hereford Voice  and confusion could set in. While I can see what Mr Smart is trying to do for tenants, but as things stands the authorities may not be willing to work with him, simply because they would just see him as a "tenant" of a registered social landlord therefore should not be taking up complaints however well intensioned on behalf of other tenants. That is between the tenant who has a complaint and their social landlord or they can and do contact the councillor(s) in the area they live in for their help.

Colin, can I explain so that everyone will know where I am coming from- 11 years ago the people of the Belmont (Belmont Newton  Farm and Hunderton) ward elected me as their councillor, and I have been priviledged to of been re-elected by my constituents again in 2007 and 2011. As a councillor we have to sign forms of confidentiality for public office if we refuse to sign we cannot be a councillor,one of which is the tenants data protection act In that role when working for our constituents we have to:-

1. work with all trained council officers that can help with whatever the resident is asking help for.

2. If that is complaints with their landlords, we take the matter up with them.

3. If the matter is homelessness we work with the homeless team and benefit office.

4. There is also a team of officers to help residents who are homeowners.

In other words we can only work with recognised social landlords or fully constituted residents associations who are registered with the charity commission, Parish councils or in the case of Newton Farm and Hunderton it is the Hereford city council, as you can see my workload can be and is heavy.

I have tried to explain to Mr Smart that I am unable to get involved with his "tenants voice" because it is neither a legally registered residents association with the charity commission or constituted. In regard to tenant matters or complaints if the tenant has asked for my help which the tenant in question did (I have her email) I set the wheels in motion and she had a visit from HHL officers on 4th March 2014 and the matter is being rectified, materials have been ordered and when they arrive the work will be carried out. I can understand residents often get frustrated because it seems as though nothing is being done, this is where they can then come back to their councillor who is able to ask questions and put pressure on the landlords.

As already been stated there is already a fully constituted "tenant Voice" which would be legally recognised to represent tenants, also again I agree the name tenant voice  is to close to Hereford Voice  and confusion could set in. While I can see what Mr Smart is trying to do for tenants, but as things stands the authorities may not be willing to work with him, simply because they would just see him as a "tenant" of a registered social landlord therefore should not be taking up complaints however well intensioned on behalf of other tenants. That is between the tenant who has a complaint and their social landlord or they can and do contact the councillor(s) in the area they live in for their help.

While I appreciate what you are saying, I still think yo are using this as your excuse to avoid working with smartieno1, I also appreciate that you are the elected councillor but it seems to me that you want to run this on your own in order to claim any credit at the end. I know this may sound harsh and I know that you work tirelessly for the community but offered help from another person you cannot undervalue!! Bottom line here is you either want to work together or you are refusing, with regard to local authorities not wanting to work with non elected parties that's a load rubbish in my experience because all that will do is get them bad press which they will attempt to avoid at all costs but if this is the case then work with smatieno1 and you just echo what he wants through your councilor channels, if you want it to work, it will.

While I appreciate what you are saying, I still think yo are using this as your excuse to avoid working with smartieno1, I also appreciate that you are the elected councillor but it seems to me that you want to run this on your own in order to claim any credit at the end. I know this may sound harsh and I know that you work tirelessly for the community but offered help from another person you cannot undervalue!! Bottom line here is you either want to work together or you are refusing, with regard to local authorities not wanting to work with non elected parties that's a load rubbish in my experience because all that will do is get them bad press which they will attempt to avoid at all costs but if this is the case then work with smatieno1 and you just echo what he wants through your councilor channels, if you want it to work, it will.

Unfortunately this is the way we are going. It is being promoted by the government through a project called Locality. Unless you are on the list of key figures who views are sort, the authorities wont want to speak to you. 

Steve, I have explained fully above it is not a case of not working with Mr Smart it is the case I AM NOT ALLOWED TO. As for wanting to take credit, I work on behalf of my residents not to gain any accolade for the work I do for my residents because that is not my way.It was what  I became a councillor for, and what was elected to do. Take it from me there are times when I wish there was other help but I have to abide by the rules set out by Government. Even when people go to our local MP he often just brings it back to me to deal with. I work 10 hours a day 7 days a week for my residents and I would not have it any other way. I am on public record as saying: " if  my residents can be bothered to get up off their rear ends to vote for me then I must give them 100% of my time ". which I do!

smartieno1, please take this in the manner in which I have written it (with good intend). I admire you for trying to help these residents and I appreciate that you have a personal interest because of your friend but surely this has to go through the correct channels and procedures followed otherwise chaos will follow and this will become even more confusing and frustrating for the tenants. The local people have voted and a councillor has been elected, this has to be the channel for the residents if they are unhappy with HH.

Stand for election when the time comes but until then you have to keep out of this and leave this to go through the channels in place. I think you are a little too confrontational and need to take a step back.

Please take this as a compliment. 

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Mick....there is no easy way to say this...your talking nonsense and the code of conduct Councillor Powell has stated does not exclude her from working with anyone..

It does however require her to be HONEST amongst other things and she has been anything but to date..

This all started because I offered to help her and tried to point her in the direction of the relevant law to help her protect her constituents...I did not attack her and I have only ever defended myself from her attacks with the TRUTH....and facts

As for confusion every Tenant of Herefordshire Housing is entitled to have a Tenants Association and I am a Tenant of Herefordshire Housing so I guess I am exercising my right

I just wish a few more of you would do the same thing...

So lets hear your comments about her behaviour Mick ...cos I'd love to know why you have chosen to respond to me..when I am not in the wrong and you ignore Glenda when she is....do you have a problem with me too?? 

I got a problem with you .You can't go around calling people names how would you like it ,just drop it.She does a lot for the community I know she gets things wrong sometimes we all do.If you want to help the tennants just do it yourself.Glenda has been helping the tenants and residents of Newton Farm for years now and she is doing a good job.You will find out how hard it is working with HHL yourself.So stop slagging off other people and just get on with it.

I got a problem with you .You can't go around calling people names how would you like it ,just drop it.She does a lot for the community I know she gets things wrong sometimes we all do.If you want to help the tennants just do it yourself.Glenda has been helping the tenants and residents of Newton Farm for years now and she is doing a good job.You will find out how hard it is working with HHL yourself.So stop slagging off other people and just get on with it.

I agree, you are going about this totally the wrong way by name calling, this is so unprofessional, not a good start if you are wanting to be taken serious. I really do admire what you are trying to do, but to be fair to ANY councillor not just councillor Powell, their work is not limited to just HH tenants, maybe you should direct your frustrations more at them? 

I do not have a problem with you or what you are trying to do because its very generous of you to give up any of your time to help people, but name calling, quoting codes of conduct and basically telling someone that they are useless is unfair and unnecessary, the respect you earned in your initial approach, suggestions and good idea's could be destroyed in a second with such comments, which would be a shame after the hard work that you are clearly putting into this. You will probably come back and tell me that you do not care if you have lost respect from people blah blah blah but you need the support of the local people especially if you are going to stand for election at some point again.

All that I am saying is that it is easy to point a stick but in reality CVP has a good record and is well respected for her hard work over the years and that goes for all the councillors that give up their time to help others, so how about backing off with the insults and direct your frustration at putting a sensible plan together and I will be one of the first to support you if the ideas are good.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Guys.... I have actually asked for all of my comments to be removed and to-date they remain so I will ask once again Colin can you please remove all of my comments on this thread?

And name calling....please I was speaking the truth

Guys.... I have actually asked for all of my comments to be removed and to-date they remain so I will ask once again Colin can you please remove all of my comments on this thread?

And name calling....please I was speaking the truth

Phil, I have replied to you, I do not remove comments unless they break the forum rules, however, I think this thread is making a turn for the worse and it has run it's course, so with that in mind I will lock it to prevent any further replies. 

13. As the author of your own topics and posts, YOU are responsible for your content so please think about what you publish as topics & posts will not be removed by request of the author once published.