Kilvert Road Flats.

Glenda Powell

I have had many tenants approach me because some of the rendering on the walls of the Kilvert Road flats have become loose because of all the wet weather we have had, therefore it was removed. Tenants concerns is the flats will now become damp. I have had assurance from HHL that if that happened any damp etc would be put right regardless of the flats being part of the regeneration of the Oval.

I have had many tenants approach me because some of the rendering on the walls of the Kilvert Road flats have become loose because of all the wet weather we have had, therefore it was removed. Tenants concerns is the flats will now become damp. I have had assurance from HHL that if that happened any damp etc would be put right regardless of the flats being part of the regeneration of the Oval.

These are being demolished at some point anyway no?

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Dear Councillor Powell

I think you need to realise the real issue here.... the reason the flats are rendered in the first place is primarily to protect the brick work and maintain the weather resistance of the building..

If render falls off it should not be left off ....it should be repaired and that is why the tenants pay their rent and the failure to repair is a clear breach of the tenancy agreement 

please see link to Government web-site for details on what action should be taken:

https://www.gov.uk/council-housing/repairs-and-maintenance

May I also suggest that if you have problems bought to you by residents of Herefordshire Housing and you are unsure of exactly what to do or what should be done please feel free to point them in my direction as I and several other tenants are currently setting up an organisation called the TENANTS VOICE and will do all we can to assist them. 

Many thanks in advance  :Happy_32: 

smartieno, the real issue is they are built with pre-reinforced concrete (PRC) not bricks, the same as the 2 storey properties across the road which were rendered in 2012. I was elected 11 years ago to represent the residents in the Belmont ward, Belmont, Newton Farm and Hunderton as it stands until 2015, when the three estates become single wards in their own right, so people living in Belmont will be represented by the councillor of that ward. As the elected councillor living in Newton Farm I sit on the housing management group for HH which is to look after the people interests who live in the area of the Oval redevelopment (see my letter in the HT this week). I would also like to advise you there is already a tenants association in Newton Farm that was started by myself and 23 other residents it has been going since 1997, it is now a part of the Advice Centre in Newton Farm.I will carry on the work the people elected me to do, which a part is dealing with tenants problems, therefore I will not be pointing people in your direction, if the people wish to contact you that is up to them but the majority of tenants either contact me direct or through the advice centre.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Wow....

I am sorry if you are feeling threatened by the Tenants Voice as that is not the intention.  We are trying to compliment the work you do not "Take Over" your little empire.

I thought from your original post that the issue was about render, damp and the refusal of Herefordshire Housing to carry out the repair work they are legally obliged to carry out. I also thought you were accepting the illegal position of HHL because of a lack of knowledge but clearly you know everything there is to know.  I trust you will now make sure the repair work is carried out as you have your finger on the pulse of HHL and the rest of Newton Farm.

I would also ask that you state publicly if you have a problem with the 'Tenants Voice' or just me personally?

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Councillor Powell,

I had this posted on my Facebook page today and it concerns damp in a top floor flat at Kilvert Road.....

A friend of mine on kilvert road has mould all on the ceilings they are top floor and its because of damp from above hh wont sort it because they are being knocked down in a year or so!! They did paint over it once!! And that is what my friend has to do continualy , not good.

I trust you will deal with this issue as you are clearly more experienced and better connected than I :Happy_32:  

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

You are correct twowheels but the key to any damp problem is identifying the real cause and making sure it is dealt with effectively... it is clear to me that HHL consistantly fail to do this in many cases I have dealt with..... 

Interestingly enough the Tenants Voice was responsible today for helping a tenant, instruct an expert structural surveyor with experience of damp concrete floors to examine a house in Newton Farm that is plagued with damp and has been for many years..at HHL's expense of course....

I would hope that they would ask the surveyor to examine the flats at Kilvert Road and Ethelstan Cresent because there are several houses with serious damp and mold problems 

Wow....

I am sorry if you are feeling threatened by the Tenants Voice as that is not the intention.  We are trying to compliment the work you do not "Take Over" your little empire.

I thought from your original post that the issue was about render, damp and the refusal of Herefordshire Housing to carry out the repair work they are legally obliged to carry out. I also thought you were accepting the illegal position of HHL because of a lack of knowledge but clearly you know everything there is to know.  I trust you will now make sure the repair work is carried out as you have your finger on the pulse of HHL and the rest of Newton Farm.

I would also ask that you state publicly if you have a problem with the 'Tenants Voice' or just me personally?

Hello smartie1, I have a lot of admiration for what you are trying to do for the community and residents of HH, have you thought about standing as a councillor?I reiterate what CVP has said that I also thought that there is already an association set up so can't quite understand why you feel the need to set up another? surely this will only go to confuse matters? I am not nit picking but can you not come up with a better name than Tenants Voice its very close to HV and may also confuse? Just my opinion

WOW! me threatened Never! Thank you for both your posts, I don't feel threatened by you or tenants voice as I have not been privileged to know anything about the tenants voice, absolutely nothing! maybe you be kind  enough to enlighten me.

PS. In regard to your second post to me indeed I will look into this matter if you would like to advise me with a PM because of data protection for the tenant their name and address. I will deal with it on Monday morning.

I honestly and truly believe that many of these Housing Associations all start off from a good place with good intentions, but then, at some stage, the rot sets in, they then take their eye off the ball, start caring more about their corporate image rather than their purpose which is to provide good, affordable and well maintained properties and they then begin their slide toward the glitzy side of the business. Not the boring stuff like ridding themselves of mould. No! The interesting stuff that only the suits can latch onto.

The salaries, the job titles, the new corporate logo, the shiney office break out space, the management language that we've all come to despise and of course the profit. The wealth and the rapidly growing tiers of management which present a 'climber' with no commonsense and a degree in some pointless and obscure subject, to climb the greasy pole up the promotion ladder that'll lead to endless opportunities within the public service bubble.

I say, lets get rid of the rot. Rot spreads and no amount of talk sorts it out. You've gotta spend money and maintain a good and healthy living standard for people who occupy these homes that they fortunately and luckily acquired for forty six million quid.

The Newton Farm Community Association is the tenants association in 1997 when 23 residents and I first ran it our name was the Newton Farm action group, at that time we wanted to become a charity but the charity commission doesn't recognise an action group so we changed our name to Newton Farm Community Association, between 1997 to 1999 we had got the old hardware shop from the council and turned it into the advice centre, then in 1999 the present people running the advice centre also took over the tenants association Hope this answer your question.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Okay I get it now...there is no longer a specific Tenants Association, as it was replaced by an organisation with wider aims, namely the Newton Farm Community Association (NFCA).

I also believe this organisation, no longer gives advice (It was stopped because of legal advice) on tenants issues, repairs or anything else that affects a tenant and that was why the name changed from the Newton Farm Advice Centre to the present NFCA.

Therefore it is safe and fair to say that there is room for an Independent Tenants Association called the Tenants Voice that offers advice, advocacy and support on issues that affect the tenant....and this organisation will be open to all residents and tenants of each and every housing association in Hereford(shire).  

I hope that this clears up any issue you had with us setting up the Tenants Voice, which I re-iterate is not designed to steal your thunder or that of the Newton Farm Community Association who do an absolutely fantastic job of helping others.

Do you know of any funding sources we can access Councillor Powell? 

Mr Smart, you are wrong again in paras 1&2,
para one - The NFCA as I said before is the legal tenants association in Newton Farm, but it also evolved to help the wider community of South Wye through the wider aims of the Advice/ Information centre and received the Queens Award for voluntary services to Newton Farm and wider South Wye area.

para two - The Advice/Information Centre does give advice, that was what it was set up to do, any tenant issues are passed onto the elected coucillor(s) but in legal matters they work with a solicitor by passing any matters on to them. Any tenant or(Homeowner) matters are passed onto the local elected coucillor(s) to contact the residents associations of which there are 4 on Newton Farm or anything to do with council services.
In regard to an Independent Association someone else wanted to do that but were stopped on legal grounds all the housing association will only work with the elected councillor(s) of the area.

You seem to have not looked into setting up the tenants Voice enough, there are legal obligations to setting one up, you would need a lot of backing in which to do so and unless you have charitable status you would not be recognised as a legal tenants association. Again funding in the present financial situation is scarce and you would not be considered for funding without charitable status and there is a need, as there are already 4 in the immediate area, the charity commission probably would not support you as the other people found out.
it is my understanding that you once used to be a councillor, therefore you should know all of this, and in fact you are standing again next year, as of next year the boundaries are changing and there is only going to be one councillor one ward, because the councillors in Hereford is being reduced you
would be best advised to stand in the ward you live in, because as you will know from the past the residents like their councillors to live on the estate where they live, and take your chance against all other candidates which I have been advised is 4 for each of the Belmont, Newton Farm and Hunderton and Hinton wards.

Just to reiterate you, and yout tenants Voice is no threat to me, and would not steal my thunder!

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

1. I was informed by a very prominent person at the NFCA that the name was changed because they do not give out advice anymore....as they had been instructed by a solicitor not too...

2. We will be seeking written clarification from the NFCA and HHL that they are the 'LEGALLY' appointed tenants association and I will post their response on this site for all to see.

3. We are trying to engage with HHL about the Tenants Voice project and we have written to the Chief Executive and I have spoken perosnally to Nikki Griffiths from HHL about this project and she said she would also look at our proposals.

4. We are now aware that HHL give out grants to help community groups and the like so we will discuss this with HHL when the Chief Executive responds.

5.  Would you like to join?

:Happy_32: 

Do you know what strikes me?

We have here, two extremely community minded people. Two people who give up their time, and energy to help out others. Glenda has many years experience under her belt, and Smartieno1's enthusiasm and single mindedness in getting his new venture up and running cannot be faulted. I am sure they both have the appreciation of many, for their assistance with problems.

Is there not a way they could work together?? To enhance what the other has??

I am sure together they could be a formidable force for good.

Would this not be a better way forward folks??

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Hi Dippy...

Once again you have posted a lovely post....and I think that is the best way this thread could end so thank you for helping it to end on a high  :Grin:

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Folks, I apologise for not shutting up as I agreed previously but I think this information that I was given, puts everything into perspective including the participation of a Councillor, who is a tenant and sits on the Landlords committees (apparently there could be a conflict of interest)

https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bristol.gov.uk%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fdocuments%2Fhousing%2Fcouncil_housing%2Ftenant_participation%2FSetting%2520up%2520a%2520Tenants%27%2520Association.pdf&h=vAQHGAQFX

Just to clarify my position on the management committee I sit on for the redevelopment of the Oval, I do not sit there as a tenant but an elected councillor, the other two elected councillors are on the steering group for the Oval redevelopment. therefore again you are wrong. I am still waiting for your PM in regard to the tenant you asked me to help! Also the funding HHL gives are for community projects such as the gardening club, help with employment of HHL tenants etc.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Dear Councillor Powell....

There is a saying that a fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his/her opinion......I think it would be helpful to you....if you took the time to understand the point I am making.....

The facts are:  

You are a tenant...you are a councillor and you sit on a management committee......the potential for a conflict of interest is prevalent whether you like it or not.....

I have not been given any further information on the tenant in question but suffice to say I will be dealing with them via the Tenants Voice and not through you....

May I also suggest you read the information on this site as I THINK the previous link did not work...

http://www.bristol.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/housing/council_housing/tenant_participation/Setting%20Up%20a%20Tenants%20and%20Residents%20Association%20Instep.pdf

Then you might as well say that about all councillors who you say sit on management committees in their wards. The other two Belmont Councillors sit on the steering group with HHL, the developers who are building the houses also people from NFCA and three tenants. The management sub group of which I am a part of  is made up of one Belmont Councillor, HHL officers and tenants.  There are at least 3 other councillors that post on here who are heavily involved and sit on or chair groups in their wards, and another who is on HHL board. I can assure you if any of us had a conflict of interest we would not be sitting on these groups. Councillors are looked upon as community champions in their wards.

I thought you knew the tenant in question? it is all right by me if the tenant wishes you to deal with their complaint, Good luck you will need it! I have more than enough to deal with at the moment with two big cases in regard to tenants housing needs, together with all aspects of councillor work on my ward.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Dear Councillor Powell...

I have once again spoken to Nikki Griffiths at Hereforshire Housing and she has stated that there is not  currently any Tenants Association ..legal or otherwise...the last one was run by a lady called Wendy Jones and that disbanded several years ago ...Nikki was surprised that you did not know?

Is there any particular reason for your apparent oversight or was it a deliberate attempt to misinform the readers of Hereford Voice?

unfortunately you got it wrong again, Wendy Jones ran the Tenants Federation for all HHL tenants of which I was a member. She now runs her own Tenants Association for the people of Redhill, there is one in Putson and Hinton for the people of those areas, they were all started many years ago when the South Wye  Regeneration Board (SRB) was formed we received £4.3m to all work together on the 5 South Wye estates, and the first thing we all did was to start Tenant Associations in each area, Newton Farm was the first and the others followed.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Councillor Powell...

Have you not tired of telling me I'm wrong yet?......every-time I prove you wrong... you spout a load of old gibberish and move the goalposts...your the classic politician ..dishonest, vague and manipulative

You told everyone the NFCA was the official...legally appointed tenants association and that was FALSE

Now you at last admit that the only official Tenants Association that was recognised by Herefordshire Housing is defunct...and instead of being magnanimous in defeat you continue to attack me and tell me I'm wrong..

What will you do when I have it in writing.... that there is no legally appointed tenants Association...accuse me of writing it myself......you are acting like you are deluded and I am worried that you are becoming obsessed with the tenants Voice looking better than you

You are behaving like a fool of the worst kind and you are a danger to the constituents you purport to serve because you believe your own bluster no matter how dishonest it is....I am sure that you have a good heart ...so can we please work together to make Herefordshire Housing a better place to live for the weak, sick and vulnerable Tenants that are being failed on a daily basis...

If not can you please stop aswering my posts and picking a fight with me because I take no pleasure in having this very public spat