Saving The Working Boys Home *UPDATE*

The Fire Station topic has been covered under four different headings on Hereford Voice. A lot of information posted in the past may be of interest regarding the present planning application.

However any comment needs to be posted under one heading so we know where we can find it. Can I suggest any information concerning the planning application is posted under

Fire Station Planning Application

Over 22,500 views on all the above topics.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Interesting update over at HT.

There was some concern, that HWFA would look again at The Working Boys Home. However, in an on line article today, discussing new ways forward for crewing and staffing, there was mention that they are still seeking a new location for the fire station. 

Although HWFA have refused to confirm what sites they are currently looking at, it is believed that...

" The Hereford Times understands that a purpose built station on Hereford proposed inner link road is in the running."

And to think they said this wasn't an option!

See that West Midlands Fire and Rescue want to demolish a Grade 2 Listed Fire Station..............

Plans to demolish and replace two of the West Midlands’ community fire stations are set to be considered by members of West Midlands Fire and Rescue Authority (WMFRA).

The futures of Aston and Coventry stations will discussed by WMFRA members at their next full meeting on Monday 16 February.

Reports about both sites say they need to be improved to suit a modern-day fire service, and to help West Midlands Fire Service (WMFS) meet its five-minute attendance target for life or property-threatening emergencies.

Aston’s Ettington Road fire station was built in 1923 and is listed by English Heritage as Grade II. With this in mind, members will be asked to approve a back-up option of ‘refurb and modernise’ in case the brigade’s first recommendation of ‘demolish and replace’ does not get permission from planners.

The recommendation for Coventry’s Radford Road station, built in 1976, is that it be demolished and rebuilt, with improvements to its existing training facilities. Relocation has been ruled out because the site complements WMFS’s prevention, protection and response work, but the existing facilities are expensive to run and maintain.

Ridiculous situation really.

A Grade 2 listed building. The primary plan should surely always be to "refurb and modernise". Yet their preferred option is "demolish and rebuild." Makes no sense to me.

I still think that Hereford's station could be upgraded and improved. Certainly, if they do get their new build station, I would want to see the original fire station kept, and perhaps converted to housing.

No doubt the first plan will still be, knock it down and turn it into a car park.

Report of Head of Asset Management

6. Asset Management Strategy: Hereford Fire Station

Purpose of report

1. To report progress to the Committee regarding the provision of a new fire station in Hereford.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the progress towards identifying a site for a replacement fire station in Hereford be noted.

Some careful wording in that report;

"As part of the link-road project these areas will have flood alleviation measures proposed to mitigate an existing flood risk in this area, but these would not support fire service mobilisation from a site in the event of flooding and there are known specific issues with the site that may make a development as a fire station cost-prohibitive. As has already been indicated, the Bath Street location is unlikely to proceed any further."

So the flood proofed site is ruled out because it will flood ... and has 'known specific issues' which make it cost prohibitive. I wonder how the latter will impact on the cost of the road itself then.

Almost exactly 12 months since this thread was started, and today I received some very interesting news.

I cannot as yet name the councillor who provided this information to my friend, as it is not as yet, official.......

The bus station IS to be re sited by the train station, and joy of joys.... the new fire station will be built on the bus station site!!!

Meanwhile, The Working Boys Home, which we have fought so hard to save, is to be given a new lease of life, as it is to be utilised by the new University.

Hopefully, all of this will be officially confirmed soon.

A brilliant result...... and it's only taken a year of our lives!!

Well done everybody!

Well without tempting fete I would like to congratulate Dippy for her passion and her Captains for driving this campaign!

Reading through this topic has probably been my first paperless read. I still prefer books of paper but on this occasion there was no better way and thanks Megi for your summary back in April!

Reading the story about the launch of a new university in Hereford Times, I note that the Odeon Cinema is been considered as a possible site. So maybe no fire station site here?

Today’s confirmation comes with a list of likely NMITE locations spread across the city centre including the Buttermarket, the old Odeon cinema, Maylord shopping centre and the former Chadds building.

Other sites so far are: The Bath Street offices, Bath Street car park, Gaol Street car park, Symonds Street car park, the Franklin Barnes building, Blueschool House, the Robert Owen School, Hereford United football club, space above High Town shops, Hereford Library and Museum, Kemble House, West Street car park, Bastion Mews, the old magistrates court, land behind the Courtyard, the Saracen’s Head, and Castle Green Pavilion.

The project is now looking to recruit a chief executive and leadership team for NMITE, a search that has gone global.

Funny how this is all going to be up and running by end of 2017 and yet High Town bomb site is still derelict after 5 years. How is this university going to be funded?

It is essentially a private university.

"The project's philanthropy company is looking to  raise at least £25 million identified as needed to see the university through its first years."

"Though a not-for-profit institution, NMITE will be run as a company and headed by a Chief Executive/Founding President, Chief Academic Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Finance Director and a Marketing Director.

The Chief Executive will report to a board of trustees.

Running costs of the university, once launched, will be met through tuition fees and continuing funding from industry. The project will initially raise at least £20M for purchasing land, building the campus and other capital needs."

Lots of important sounding job descriptions lined up already.

Herefordshire Council's contribution appears to be to throw in every potential development site in the City, whether they own it or not. That said, probably the less they have to do with it the better.

I wish it well. It's not going to be easy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm.

Update. Apparently, the police and fire are now looking at shared premises. They have ruled out the County Bus Station, and land off the new link road. They are looking at an as yet, undisclosed location.

I wonder if this is the land which was owned by Cargill???? By Widemarsh Common??

I'm glad I didn't name the councillor who provided the last update. He seems to have got it wrong!

At least the Boys Home would now appear to be out of the frame. It would be too small for a joint station. 

Yes I was thinking the same Dippy because site options are restrictive plus of course agreeable criteria for both parties. Have to be honest I'm surprised by this approach because it's more likely to see future mergers between ambulance and fire though locally there has always been a preference to have a central fire station.

I know the Home Secretary made a comment a while ago suggesting the emergency services should all be housed on one campus.

Yes I was thinking the same Dippy because site options are restrictive plus of course agreeable criteria for both parties. Have to be honest I'm surprised by this approach because it's more likely to see future mergers between ambulance and fire though locally there has always been a preference to have a central fire station.

I know the Home Secretary made a comment a while ago suggesting the emergency services should all be housed on one campus.

Thanks Dippy ..it's great this topic I thought I'd read the final page.. but oh no.

So there are a few options but who wants to bet on a completely new site!

As Policing becomes more virtual how about somewhere nice and quiet then say "Brockington" ( tongue in cheek).

No flooding issues there!

Tee Hee!

The Cargill site is an interesting option.

Apparently, with regard to the undisclosed location, they are looking at travel time for retained crews, and response times to get to the city centre..... the mediaeval core, which is high risk.

We have looked at response times from the Cargill site......!

[quote name="dippyhippy" post="20556" timestamp="

I wonder if this is the land which was owned by Cargill???? By Widemarsh Common??

Very interesting new development again on this dippy…this subject has had more twists & turns than the old river wye!

That's a big site & has been vacant for a number of years & we did allude to it earlier in the campaign with reference to the fire services feasibility report.