Haunted Old Crow Cottage, in Willersley, Herefordshire

Mick

I have just read this fascinating article, have a read it's a little spooky.

post-167-0-63062600-1394498388_thumb.jpg

Inside the haunted cottage with tragic past which has been left to rot with more than 300 years of valuables...clothes, pictures, clocks all left untouched
Last owner of Old Crow Cottage, in Willersley, Herefordshire, was tragically killed last year
David Edward Penny, 72, died in a car crash on the road outside the house in October, 2013
Locals claim to have seen lights flickering inside the cottage, leading to rumours that the cottage is haunted
The Grade II-listed cottage was built in the 17th century and had been a village pub

The haunting signs of lives once lived still echo from every room in this long-abandoned ramshackle ruin.
Old Crow Cottage, a Grade II listed building, now stands eerily abandoned since 2009 - the clothes, pictures and other remnants from former inhabitants are untouched and lying under a thick layer of dust.
New photographs from inside the dilapidated cottage, in Willersley, Herefordshire, reveal the eerie atmosphere within the building which would once have been a family home.

Over the last few years, locals have even reported to have seen lights flickering inside the cottage, leading to rumours that the cottage might be haunted.

The last occupant was killed in a car crash on the road outside the home.

Urban explorer Dan Circa ventured inside after reading about its history online.

Dan, 28, from Manchester says: 'The cottage has been in the same family for many years and it looks like each generation has filled the house with their possessions.'

Read More: HERE

I've loved that place for 40 years, without knowing anything about it, and loved watching it slowly decay. Tragic that its owner had to die in those circumstances and I really hope that some Daily Mail reader doesn't get the idea of robbing it of all its fantastic artefacts. I sincerely hope that it isn't 'done up' in a way which robs it of its character - something that will be very hard to do.

Very poignant pictures - lives, once lived, now lost.

My mother in law lives nearby, and stories have circulated about this place locally for ages. 

Whenever we drive by, there is usually a cat still sat in the downstairs window.....very sad.

I would hope that someone, somewhere, can give this property the TLC, it is in such desperate need of, before it crumbles away completely.

• 2 months later...

I love history and do wonder sometimes when I pass old houses who lived there, when was it built !!

Thanks to those photos it shows how hard it must of been before busses, cars even tv! !

I did live up until recently in a house which was in the same family for over 100years and next door to the same family for even more (I'm now back living in Hereford now),

They're both Georgian houses and I've always wanted to find out the history of them, what's the best way of doing it??

• 2 months later...

I don't know what happened there.  However the Old Crowe Willersley is up for auction.  Guide price £120k to £150k.  Open day Sat 9th August 2014.

An opportunity for those budding renovators wanting a challenge or two!!

http://www.mccartneys.co.uk/pdf.php?vars=propertypdf-sales-mccrps-HAY140171-1407325243

Hope the link works I do not always succeed with links

An amazing research into this old property and its previous occupiers. Working for Royal Mail I used to deliver mail to this property on the Winforton delivery, after taking the mail from Hereford to Kington sorting office first thing in the morning. I always wondered that if I had to knock the front door the roof would collapse! I also remember the cats sunning themselves in the front window. This picture was taken on 10th March 2007.

post-2-0-74105300-1407439436_thumb.jpg

I would pass Mr Penny on his bicycle, immaculately turned out with cycle clips pedaling towards Eardisley, where he would visit the Strand, opposite the Tram Inn, for a drink and watch the horse racing. He even had battery lights on his bike and must have cycled back home sometimes in the dark. His death was very tragic for someone still so active for his age. When delivering his mail I would pull across the main road to outside his cottage and then return to the opposite of the road. This was always a tricky manoeuvre, as the cottage was on a blind bend with fast traffic travelling towards the road junction with the A4111.

There is a reference to The Wharf House in the Parish of Eardisley. There are two properties called The Wharf/Cottage and Wharf Bungalow next to the tennis courts in Eardisley. I believe they would have been named in connection with an early narrow gauge horse tramway, that linked limestone quarries at Burlinjob in Radnorshire to Eardisley in Herefordshire.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It appears that the cottage was sold, but Mr. Ball has not yet updated his website with any new information.  I am particularly concerned about what happened to the contents, since the photos on the realtor's website showed empty rooms.  I hope the contents were saved for the new owner and not thrown away.  Does anyone have any new information on this?

Hi Tristan!

Welcome to Hereford Voice!

I drove past the cottage this morning - McCartneys "Property for Auction" board was still outside, I actually wondered if it was still for sale. Nothing appears to have changed from the outside. As you say, I also thought the property details from the estate agents showed that a lot of the inside had been cleared already.

Have you spoken to the agents?If they arranged for the property to be cleared, they should know what has happened to the contents.

It appears that the cottage was sold, but Mr. Ball has not yet updated his website with any new information.  I am particularly concerned about what happened to the contents, since the photos on the realtor's website showed empty rooms.  I hope the contents were saved for the new owner and not thrown away.  Does anyone have any new information on this?

Welcome to HV Tristan, please let us know what you find out but it would be a terrible shame if the contents have been thrown away.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...