The Town Centre is Disgusting

Biomech

Well spotted Roger!

The camera never lies!

It's like 30 seconds from the new flagship retail sector and at/outside the newly (ish) revamped cash collector Council car park cash cow.... Obviously the thinking is not quite joined up yet! I think tho there's an opportunity to analyse what's in the bin to find out what people are buying ... What's that bottle on top of the bin for instance? 

• 4 months later...

Six months on from the begiinning of this topic and two letters in the Hereford Times confirm it's still the same.

10:20am Thursday 24th July 2014 in Letters

Barry Morris and Catherine Pullin write to say litter is a real eyesore in Hereford.

WHAT a sight for tourists on Sunday evening in High Town. From HSBC to The Entertainer, wall to wall rubbish.

BARRY MORRIS Huskinson Drive, Hereford

and

I AGREE with Brian Hubbard (Where's our civic pride? Letters, July 10).

Hereford is filthy. I can’t imagine what visitors think of the litter-strewn pavements, bird mess and general scruffiness everywhere.

I think householders, shops and businesses should look after their own outside areas and make sure they’re clean and tidy.

CATHERINE PULLIN Cathedral Close, Hereford

I suppose Balfour Beatty think these people are talking rubbish. Get a Locality Steward out to look at the problem and do something.

A few months ago I contacted the estate agents for the old Chadds shops asking if they would clean up the windows and doorways - their responsibility not the Council's.

I was told they would speak to the owners - still Chadds - and pass on my concerns

Nothing was ever done

It always seemed to me that the Chadd family were happy to take money in the tills and then quit when the competition was on its way. They seem to have no conscience about their responsibility for their property.

I think it is shameful. Sadly I cannot find their direct contact details, which the estate agent declined to give me, or I would tell them direct

It is stuff like this that brings down the appearance of the city and tends to encourage other poor behaviour

Spot on comment, Aylestone Voice!

I think maybe a "Name and Shame" thread should be started, highlighting issues such as this.

I also am amazed that there is no "minimum standard" for how shop fronts should look.....again, part of the old Chadds building being used looks more like a car boot than a High Street shop! It desperately needs a good tidy up! Rails of knitwear and high vis jackets on the pavement are not the best way to merchandise your goods! It should make no difference, whether it's a "big" name or a charity shop - Oxfam, in Eign Gate always have a lovely shop window - have a little pride!! Perhaps some sort of seasonal " Best Dressed Window" competition, would focus traders attention on this.....with a bit of free publicity, it could help to improve the situation???

Window displays and dressing should be a real eye catcher.....not an eye sore!  

Window displays and dressing should be a real eye catcher.....not an eye sore!  

Agree totally dippy. Walking around town you can't see through the windows for sale posters that have been in the window for years. Makes retailing tacky and complements the rubbish blowing through High Town. This site has some good advice on how to treat your first point of sale when attracting shoppers.

Retail design works on the premise that, if customers find a commercial space appealing, they will want to spend time there and, therefore, buy products. Retail design can take in store frontage, lighting, furniture, point of sale displays, merchandising and signage. Good retail design influences customer perception of a business and its concept. A store that sells high-end clothing, for example, will be designed to convey the same message, while a store that sells teenage clothing will be youthful and hip.

Maybe we can post a few photos of good and poor examples of window display in the city, along the lines of empty shops that Colin did.

Six months on from the begiinning of this topic and two letters in the Hereford Times confirm it's still the same.

10:20am Thursday 24th July 2014 in Letters

Barry Morris and Catherine Pullin write to say litter is a real eyesore in Hereford.

and

I suppose Balfour Beatty think these people are talking rubbish. Get a Locality Steward out to look at the problem and do something.

I wonder what would happen if some High Town guerillas were to fill bin bags with all the rubbish accumulating in the old shopping areas and spread it around at midnight in the OLM shopping area - I'll bet it would be cleared away before you could say Balfour Beatty Living Places (three times).

On street cleaning.

Where I live (not in Hereford itself) we have a street cleaning vehicle which drives around probably 2 or 3 times a week usually about 7am or earlier.  Chap working hard but it seems an anomaly when so many other areas get nothing (and where I live isn't a particularly litter prone road).  I wondered if it was like the Japanese soldiers found on remote islands many years after the war who didn't realise the war had finished.  This guy is still doing his public service job and the powers that be have forgotten all about him - other than making him change the company name of the vehicle every so often.  One day, someone at BBLP will say "Hang on,  why are the streets in *************  so clean?  are we missing some opportunity for transformation here?  Can whoever is guilty of doing their job so well be restructured into a hub based locality service delivery model so I can have a payrise?"

I believe the Chadd family still own the main block of buildings (where The Entertainer is) but did sell those where the YMCA shop etc is

Thanks Aylestone voice….it's seems odd why most of the place has been empty since chadds closed thought? wonder wot the future holds for it?

Like the odeon / fusion / all you can eat chinese building - I'm under the impression that the uni team is looking at it.

This Uni could really do great things for this town.

I also understand that the Chadd family do still own that building and there is a little pressure on them to tidy it up.

A couple of hundred quid spent could do wonders on tidying up that part of town.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

On the bad side what on earth has happened to the road outside M&S on the corner by the bank? The road paving has been replaced with a huge splodge of black tarmac. Very unsightly.

It had been fixed.Very badly I must say. It has now re-appeared. I drove over it tonight. 

splodge.jpg

Photo via Hereford Chat Room on FB ....