That bomb-site in High Town!

Harry Beynon

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This should be good news, but given their proven chronic inability to manage costs on any project*, it will end up costing us yet more millions.

*see £1m overspend on Blueschool House, £100k over budget on fees so far on farms disposal, rumoured £10m over budget on link road etc etc.

If there were to be an overspend on any project my view is that to clear this mess up it would be well worth it

If there were to be an overspend on any project my view is that to clear this mess up it would be well worth it

I do agree that it needs clearing up but our council cannot afford to buy it not with the millions they already owe & when you factor in the closing of No1 Ledbury rd along with cutbacks in adult care etc…if they cannot afford these then I can't see how they can afford to purchase the burnt out shell in high town?!

After all where will the money come from?…or are they going to use some of that cash from the sell off of the farms they are expecting to finance this?

They will borrow the money to make it happen. They will develop the site, sell the flats, let the shops and sell the freeholds to British Land or similar. The finished project will make the normal 20% developer profit, which will be put back into the general funds. It will be a wonderful success and a beacon for the refurbished High Town. At least … that's how it should pan out, and other Council's have achieved it. But this is Herefordshire Council, with a proven record of incompetence, so that 20% profit will become a loss. It will be hushed up and accounts will be redacted as they are today with projects under way at the moment. They will borrow the money to make it happen.

This should be good news, but given their proven chronic inability to manage costs on any project*, it will end up costing us yet more millions.

*see £1m overspend on Blueschool House, £100k over budget on fees so far on farms disposal, rumoured £10m over budget on link road etc etc.

Were they not paying for the road in the first place before they had some 16 million in funding so I can't see where this overspend 

comes from.You have to remember Griffiths put in a contractual Quote not estimate for this road just like any other company would with a time limit on finishing it.

They will borrow the money to make it happen. They will develop the site, sell the flats, let the shops and sell the freeholds to British Land or similar. The finished project will make the normal 20% developer profit, which will be put back into the general funds. It will be a wonderful success and a beacon for the refurbished High Town. At least … that's how it should pan out, and other Council's have achieved it. But this is Herefordshire Council, with a proven record of incompetence, so that 20% profit will become a loss. It will be hushed up and accounts will be redacted as they are today with projects under way at the moment. They will borrow the money to make it happen.

So that'll be another fine mess there'll get us into then!…it's a shame the bookies can't take bets on it…I know the odds would be rubbish being as it would be such a dead cert! But at lest we'd get some money back!

It's amazing how they can conjure up money when they want too?…you'd think as soon as they walked into the bank,there would be flashing lights accompanied by a rather loud siren sounding off,with the bank then going into lockdown!…

because that's what happens,when I go a fiver over my limit & then walk through the door to ask for more!

So that'll be another fine mess there'll get us into then!…it's a shame the bookies can't take bets on it…I know the odds would be rubbish being as it would be such a dead cert! But at lest we'd get some money back!

It's amazing how they can conjure up money when they want too?…you'd think as soon as they walked into the bank,there would be flashing lights accompanied by a rather loud siren sounding off,with the bank then going into lockdown!…

because that's what happens,when I go a fiver over my limit & then walk through the door to ask for more!

All Councils borrow money,just look how much Cities like Worcester & towns like Telford  owe

All Councils borrow money,just look how much Cities like Worcester & towns like Telford owe

Yes I'm sure we are not the only ones stuck up a creek without a paddle!…but this can't go on forever these authorities borrowing money like this at some point the lender will want their money surly? Then what?

The Council's single biggest asset, according to the best selling work of fiction, Transport Asset Management Plan (TAMP), are its highways, in 2015 these were valued as having a gross replacement cost of £5.495 billion. Coming soon - toll roads?

I actually believe this will happen TWG.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...